Workbenches

bosshogg

Running with the best...
Just got done building myself a work bench. Wanted to show it off a little bit and see what everyone else has that is unique.

131377_10100780547937685_173048841_o.jpg

680358_10100780546515535_146715565_o.jpg

The frame is made from 2X4 1/4" wall scrap steel from corn head shipping stands. I traded one of the stands for the 3/16" top sheet. The only cost so far is the cylinders and air hose reel. I use shop air to run the cylinders out and force the table up on the casters, close a ball valve, move it where I want, open the valve and set it back on its feet. I built it heavy so it wont scoot around on the floor when I get to pulling on stuff in the vise...

I transfered a pic from phone to photobucket & it made look like crap.
Nice bench the one dad built just has locking casters.

Last edited:
awesome bench! Doing any pounding on that table will give you a migraine fast though. Im gonna build one close to that when the new shop gets completed here but Im planning on laying some sort of wood or heavy plastic between the top steel plate and the framing.

awesome bench! Doing any pounding on that table will give you a migraine fast though. Im gonna build one close to that when the new shop gets completed here but Im planning on laying some sort of wood or heavy plastic between the top steel plate and the framing.

Thats what hearing protection is for!!!

Looking back, I think if you would lay some 1x wood strips between the top and frame it would quiet it considerably, but still get quite a ring off the top sheet itself.

It didnt really take too long to build, and I thought about maybe building some to sell. That is, until I started pricing materials!! :umno:

great work right there. My TIG table looks about the same but with a 3/8 top plate. Heavy as hell!

Ive got a pair of sheetmetal tables with maybe 10ga tops. Been wanting a welding table with a 3/8 or 1/2 in top.

Mine is almost identical, built out of all free material with a 1/4 top. I'm gonna put some casters on like that as it is a heavy prick. Thanks for the great idea.

Yeah, If you gonna be bangin on that table you better wear protection.

Mine is almost identical, built out of all free material with a 1/4 top. I'm gonna put some casters on like that as it is a heavy prick. Thanks for the great idea.

I had one 4x8 cylinder laying in the shop, and enough material to make a linkage to use that for free, but I just kept seeing how much simpler it would be to use two cylinders. Bit the bullet and bought them and it works great!!

Mines a 4x4 3/4 steel welded to a steel post in the shop. The post holds up one of the beams in the shop with a trolley hoist. I weld stuff to it all the time for tie downs with bolts then just grind the surface back smooth with a sanding disk. A good work bench is priceless in a shop.

Portable would be great, I like the idea of being able to set it down to make it solid.

Back