WTF Autometer?

Jacob 76

Let'er Buck
A couple weeks ago I was on my way home from ND to CO at about 2 in the morning. All of a sudden I could smell burning electrical then smoke started pooring out of my electric fuel pressure gauge. The smoke was so thick inside the gauge I couldnt see the numbers of the gauge face. Then I could see flashes from the inside of the gauge starting on fire! So I shut off the lights and shut off the key and coasted to a stop and started to pull the gauge out in fear it was going to burn my truck to the ground. I got the gauge out and the inside was pretty cooked. I called Autometer the next day and got the old "well this is the first time we've ever heard of something like that... yada yada yada" So after 2 hours on the phone I finally got them to send me a UPS label to ship my gauge back. In the end they warrantied it and I wasnt out any money but WTF? I know what your thinking, and yes it was fused. I have all 4 of my electric gauges on a 5 amp fuse, and the fuse WASNT blown! So it was definitely something inside the guage. Has anybody else had any issues with Autometer stuff?

It was the center gauge

1335525662.jpg

That's a lot of gauges for a power stroke. Lol and in the sled pulling section?

But to answer your question I have not seen it happen but I have seen a lot of other gauges do funny things and crap out. Anything with wiring is entirely possible.

My last two rigs, over 10 autometer gauges (as I outgrew a few) and no problems.

I think what you had was a fluke and its great that they took your word for it and warrantied your gauge. Also good job saving your rig

It's destined to be a 2.6 truck so I thought this was as good as any place. It won't be a powerstroke for long, a p-pumped 24v is about a month away. And I got it out of there just in time to, the insulation on the wires had started to melt and I burnt the crap out of my hand pulling it out...

not totally a fluke, i had an autometer clock do that in my truck, the movement melted inside the plastic gauge housing, filled the gauge up with smoke. That was the second one that did that, i now have a prosport blue digital clock.

Back