Yet another... Transmission thread !!! RH/RE47 related ;)

angelic0-

Ok, i've posted before with limited results...

Read the DIY thread (i've done it already, went through everything) you say...

So what i have now.... is a stock 46RH from a 360 gasser...

a 47RH or RE (not sure yet) and a TF727...

The TF727 is fully built, has all billet internals to my knowledge and a performance TC not sure wich brand but it is purple so i'm guessing ATS...

I'm looking to install the TF727 on my truck to begin with, only downside is that it has 4.10 gears....

While i have the TF727 in the truck, i will not be able to drive outside town or on the highway.... although i have 4k GSK i don't think 3000rpm @ 60mph is going to be economical BUT it will probably do for street light runs and get me from A to B while i build my RH or RE47 transmission...

So NOW... my question to you guys is... and i know you can answer this logically...

What do i have to do... to make my RH/RE47 hold up to the power output of the truck in my signature...

My signature is CURRENT...

I have been looking at Red Eagle's performance kit...

A description of the kit as sold by Red Eagle is the following:

Hi-Performance Dodge A518 (46RE, 46RH) A618 (47RE, 47RH) 1994-2002 Rebuild Kit with ALTO Red Eagle Friction Clutches and Some Kolene Steels
This Super High Quality Kit is made by TRANSPARTS

This rebuild kit includes all of the High Performance Red Alto Friction Plates, Kolene Steel Plates, Sealing Rings, Metal Clad Seals, Gaskets, Orings, rubber Piston Seals, High performance Kevlar Band, dacron filter or all plastic type filter, pump bushing and ext. housing bushing.

The plates included in the kit are Red Eagle high performance clutch plates. These clutches are put through a process where the friction paper is saturated in a phenolic resin, cured, and then saturated a second time in a silicate. The silicate imparts high heat resistance.

A picture of what the "kit" looks like:
$(KGrHqF,!p0E63ZpG2)tBO4p!PK,Lw~~60_12.JPG

Bear in mind, i am not looking for a ****storm.... i am a newbie when it comes to automatic transmission building, i have only used stock automatic transmissions as i've never had a performance car with a automatic transmisson...

Why am i swapping to a automatic transmission you may ask? The answer is simple, it is because i will not get below 13second passes in the 1/4mile !!!

Is there any specific Torque Converter that i should be looking into, and will a RH47 have an lock-up?

I use the truck for towing a 4400lbs trailer, loaded with a 2500lbs Honda and a 3500lbs BMW every now and then, so lock-up is essential...

Any advice and suggestions would be nice, i am trying to do this on a budget, if i had the money for it i would simply buy a 8000$ ATS transmission ;)

As for a more detailed description of the truck itself...

Truck is a 2001 model year, Dodge Ram 3500DRW... originally had a Banks modified 24valve and a ATS 47RE in it...

I bought the truck without the engine and transmission as the PO swapped them to a Nissan Patrol with 46" tires... stupid if you ask me...

I am swapping my built 12valve into the truck, taking the 95 harness off the motor and using a 98 model year 12valve engine harness and PCM...

A friend located the harness and PCM for me, and i am unsure if it came off a manual transmission truck or automatic transmission truck as i do not have the harness yet... but in the case that the harness comes from a manual truck, how can i modify it so that reverse lights, overdrive, lock-up and such features will work ?

Again... thanks in advance for any help and advice you can give me...

Do not forget to replace your aluminum planetary gear with a steel one. The aluminum one has seen the splines strip where it sits on the shaft.

Auto Tranny upgrades for increased HP engines. - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

The 47RH is easier to make work in a vehicle without the required computer. Since your truck should have the 2001 computer for an automatic you should be fine using a 47RE as long as the computer and wiring are all still there. If you will be using the 1998 computer it has to be from an automatic. The 5 speed computers never came equipped to shift and lockup an automatic for some reason.

Both the 47RE and the 47RH have a lockup overdrive.

You will want a lower stall billet torque converter for fuel economy and power. On the other hand if you are going to be racing you may want a higher stall speed tc so you get up to your powerband faster. Application makes a huge difference here. You can always call up someone at DPC, Revmax, Goerend, DTT, Banks, or any other tc maker and ask questions to make sure you get the correct tc for your purposes.

Last edited:
PATC 46RE 47RE 48RE Transmissions, Performance Transmission A518, 518 may have what you need if you have computer problems. Call before ordering to be sure you get the right part.

PATC 727 to 518 Conversion Kit

" #727518. With these four parts you can convert your 727 transmission to a 518 overdrive transmission with locking torque converter. What this kit does is makes a 518 transmission shift without a computer. Lets say you drive an average of 400 highway miles per week, at that rate you could save as much as $1000.00 per year on gas, not to mention the 31% reduction in RPM. Your new 518 will have automatic shifts into overdrive and lock-up, no toggle switch needed. Now with adjustable vacuum switch. The instructions are at the bottom of this page. (11-25-06. I just saw this kit on the Internet by the copy cat competition for $1654.00.) Cost $85.00"

This is for a 48Re but is very close to a 47RE.
48RE Performance Rebuild at PATC 48RE 47RE 46RE

"ATC 727 to 518 Deluxe Conversion Kit

#727518DK. This is the fully electronic no vacuum needed deluxe kit for the 727 to 518 swap. Made for diesels without vacuum and big cam gas motors with low vacuum. Comes with two governor speed sensors, throttle position sensor, electronic control unit, carburetor bracket and a shift solenoid pigtail. It is 80% pre-wired. What this kit does is makes a 518 transmission shift without a computer. Can be made for a non-lock-up torque converter for $18.00 less. Cost $325.00"

Both the 47RE and the 47RH have a lockup overdrive.

Last edited:
Yeah, the kit comes from these guys...

are these a respectable manufacturer for these transmissions, should i be looking into getting the converter from them ???

any information as before... is viable and important to me.... so thanks in advance...

i really just want to do this transmission thing ONCE...

I hate rinse and repeat operations, so i'm going to be doing transmission and motor poperly...

Ok, so i'm now at this point...

I chose to build my transmission from a freshly rebuilt RE47 out of a 2001 24valve my friend stripped...

I've got a RED Alto HD Master kit including all clutches and gaskets and such, i also have got a Transgo SK-TFOD shift kit, a Sonnax Billet Accumulator and Servo Kit and both the Wedge and Strut out of billet... oh and a deep sump TCI trans pan..

Hope this is going to be a safe build for what i am doing, i wish i had the money for billet shafts but it will have to come later...

Looking on what converter to get...

Last edited:
If I were in your shoes, I would have taken the money spent on red Alto clutches and koleen steels, billet accumulator, servo kit, and TCI pan and purchased a billet input shaft

After the billet input shaft, if there was money left over, then I'd start upgrading some of the above listed items.

Back