ZF-5 or NV4500?

What are you bolting it too? How heavy of a clutch will you use? I have a ZF-42 already sitting in a Ford bolted to a ve Cummins. I'd love to through my p-pumped engine in and see how it went.

I like my 1st Gen, just hard to justify building an auto for a truck that sits in the back 40 for the bulk of the year. It only comes out for local fairs and such.

I have a newer ZF. Out of 97 power stroke. I'm shooting for 650hp. 3850 sintered iron twin disc. I was on the phone with south bend guys for a while and most of them thought the ZF would hold up better...just opinions though

JS

Ya. I hear ya. I definitely don't have the experience yet to form an opinion. I don't mind the auto, never pulled on a track with a ZF, just a loaded trailer with my 6 speed in my dd.

My truck with 7.3 and the Zf5 with dual disk was fine. Never gave me any issue. Now my truck has a 12v with a zf6 behind it with a triple disk...if you want to take the extra time n $ have the internals of your zf cryo'd..
My adaptor plate is 1/2" plate, we stood the put the bell housing on the plate and marked those holes then just took measurmemts for the engine side of it.

I ended up getting a whole truck with an nv 4500, Dana 80, etc.
One question I have is how much abuse will a non billet 1 3/8" input handle? I plan on pulling in work stock this year, maybe moving up once I gather enough pieces together and get the truck setup right.

Is this billet input necessary, or is it suited for the bigger guys (2.6,3.0)?

I destroyed 2 zf-5's, one with a twisted output shaft and one with a broke output shaft. Besides the fact that I couldn't get a big enough clutch in the bell either, I converted to a nv4500 and ford 271 transfer case. no issues from there on out!!

Back