*****01' bio-diesel problem*****

solostyle

OzoneKilla
Got a guy who has a 01' that runs on boi-diesel. He has a filter and lift pump mounted on the frame. The truck starts fine and runs fine but likes to just.."shut off" while driving. He said it does it more when the truck is at normal temp. The "check engine" light isnt on. Im thinking the vp is going bad but im not sure because I know nothing about bio-diesel. Any help would be appreciated.....

Get the codes pulled, I'll bet it's throwing something. There are many things that could cause the truck to just die, we need a bit more info.

Don't just jump on the ''Dodge Dealership'' band wagon and pitch the VP so quick.
But it could be.
Check fuel level in the tank. ha ha
No, really.
If it has a draw tube and 1/4 tank or less it may be sucking air when he get driveing down the road and the fuel starts slashing around.

buddy has a 99 with holley pump and stock pump in line...runs on bio and his FP goes from 26 to about 10, back to #2 and it goes back up...

another buddy with an 01, stock LP, runs on bio, truck shuts off intermittently and dies while driving. lift pump is shot, says its not the bio and keeps running it...and again his truck has issues...

I just spent the day at my local performance shop and a guy with a sweet bio system pulled in with problems.
First off the truck is a D-max '03ish so I don't know if this helps.
His problem was driveing on bio his truck would ''shutter'' a little until he would switch back to #2.
He has a nice set-up with a fuel heater and a Fass.
But his fuel preasure was to high. Something about D-max's not likeing alot of preasure to the pump even though its the same CP3 as the Cummins.
Anyway today we tinkered with the Fass to lower the preasure, but couldn't get it low enough, I think 13psi is were we finally called it good enough.
When the guy pulled in the truck was smoken white out the pipe bad.
We removed the fuel filter on the truck (WIX) and low and behold the damn thing had calapsed inside.
Never seen anything like that.
There was alot of talk about the bio being a different viscosity and such, but after the filter was changed the thing stopped smoken and ran smooth.
Don't really know what any of this means, but the bio does something different with the lift pumps preasure wise and may have had something to do with the calapsed filter...Don't know.

Biodiesel is an excellent solvent. It will clean everything out of your fuel system and put it in the fuel filter. Perhaps the filter collapsed because it was restricted by debris? Jeremy.

Jcummins said:
I just spent the day at my local performance shop and a guy with a sweet bio system pulled in with problems.
First off the truck is a D-max '03ish so I don't know if this helps.
His problem was driveing on bio his truck would ''shutter'' a little until he would switch back to #2.
He has a nice set-up with a fuel heater and a Fass.
But his fuel preasure was to high. Something about D-max's not likeing alot of preasure to the pump even though its the same CP3 as the Cummins.
Anyway today we tinkered with the Fass to lower the preasure, but couldn't get it low enough, I think 13psi is were we finally called it good enough.
When the guy pulled in the truck was smoken white out the pipe bad.
We removed the fuel filter on the truck (WIX) and low and behold the damn thing had calapsed inside.
Never seen anything like that.
There was alot of talk about the bio being a different viscosity and such, but after the filter was changed the thing stopped smoken and ran smooth.
Don't really know what any of this means, but the bio does something different with the lift pumps preasure wise and may have had something to do with the calapsed filter...Don't know.
Well, first of all your confusing bio with WVO.
There is no system to run biodiesel. Any diesel vehicle can run biodiesel. It's better for you engine but has less BTUs.
You got other issues.
...I always run it. Usually about b50-b80 though. I bought my truck with 190k on it. When I first started to run it, I went through a few fuel filters but never had a problem.

As far as veggie kits go, if your diesel is a common rail, it probably won't work because of the higher pressure and atomization.
Basically, newer trucks will have problems.

Yeh, your right,
I got that all wrong, it was wasted veggie, but it was a common rail Duramax.
I am not claiming to no jack about these systems, because I don't. Thats why I didn't give any suggestions to the problem, just shared it.
Didn't realize there was that big a difference between bio and veggie.
Thanks for straighting me out.
:doh: :thankyou2:

Last edited:
Duramax's don't usually like WVO or biodiesel in high concentrations anyways. I've never heard of anyone in Duramax who hasn't had at least 1 problem with cooking oil.

Biodiesel won't cause any problems. Cooking oil can with the wrong set up.