01 fuel upgrade ?s

HOTT RACING

Being Schooled
I have a 01 ho. I was looking for some upgrades. First fuel. I was looking in to installing a draw straw and a fass system. My first question is running a new fuel system can I use 3/8 fuel line. I would like to try the stainless steel fard line and fittings. Does anyone have a drawing of what a system would look like? Im not too familiar with what needs to be done with the return lines. Does it come from the IP or from the fuel pump. I was looking @ the hard line so it would both to the frame rail. What size connectors will be needed -8. Do I have any sensors on the factory filter on the 01. It is different than the 99 I saw pictures of. Is there a way I can get a fuel pump and the dual filters separate so if the fuel pump goes up I dont need to drop ship a fass pump and could use something else down the road, but can still go to the BIG TRUCK store for baldwin filters. Im a newby here and have learned alot so far. Thanks for any help.:thankyou2: :thankyou2: :thankyou2:

The Fass System takes most everything into account that you are looking at.

Filtration
Return To Tank
#6 lines

You do (when buying the full system) abandon the OEM filter housing, so you do lose the water in fuel warning light. This can be an issue if your never gonna mainatain your truck until a light comes on but that does not sound like you.... you are in a position where you will be up a creek if the system goes down, but with any pump you buy that is the case not just with FASS. If you have a good dealer in the area I highly reccomend you buy from them, when things go bad you can get the system up an running much quicker.

additionally, the Drawstraw and the STK1001 are the same thing in concept, so Buy whatever unit turns you on. The standard 1008 kit for your year does NOT come with the pick up tube, so be aware that you will need to order it at time of purchase if you want to make that mod.

W

How often do you need to replace the filters? I replace mine every other oil change. The baldwin for the Ram is like 10 bucks. I only had the water light come on once and only drained it once. That was when I used enroy fuel from the royal farm store. Its high octane ( mean waterie)... Its got 160000 on it.

Have you thought about getting a Airdog fuel system? They were the original fuel systems on the market. The owner [charlie] of Pureflow [airdog] is the father of Fass owner. He got out of the business for a short time & bought it back. The new Airdog systems are hardcore. They are quieter, come with 1/2" lines standard & carry a better warranty than Fass. Did I mention cheaper? $499 holiday special.

Thanks for the input cummins724. Ill check in to them. I haven't herd much about them. With the 1/2 inch lines dont you loose a little pressure? Is it over kill for a 400-500 hp motor? Thats the most I plan on making for now.

HOTT,

An airdog or fass would be great options for you, use the rated 300psi rubber hose, no need to use stainless lines. the fass comes standard with 3/8" lines and fittings, airdog comes with 1/2" standard, but 1/2" is not needed until 550+hp.

I live just minutes from you, we will have to meet up and I can show ya some stuff and we can chat about your plans for the truck. I can also get you a deal on anything you need for the truck. I have an 02 6spd with 570hp so I've been through everything you will be doing. Shoot me a PM of when you are free and we'll meet up.

HOTT RACING said:
Thanks for the input cummins724. Ill check in to them. I haven't herd much about them. With the 1/2 inch lines dont you loose a little pressure? Is it over kill for a 400-500 hp motor? Thats the most I plan on making for now.
Airdog systems have different pumps to choose. Check them out at www.pureflowtechnologies.com

You really can't go wrong with either system, but I just thought that you should be aware of all options available. The Fass pumps are great systems also.

I see their pumps. I would like a little input on having the pump by itself with the dual filters separate. I do a lot of traveling and things happen. If your miles from home and a the fp goes up the warranty and customer service do you no good. 6 years is a good warrant but things happen. Why wouldnt you run the filters separate from the filters?

HOTT RACING said:
Why wouldnt you run the filters separate from the filters?

Not sure what you really want to know, but I am going to assume you want a pump seperate so if something happened you still have filtration and also the ability to buy a pump anywhere.

You can do that but you will need to plumb things so that when that day comes you can make local anything work. Wiring and location would be my main concern. Then I'd try to stuff the filtration somewhere in the middle. Most of these aftermarket systems take the fuel from the tank pick up with some sort of aftermarket puch lok hose, that could become an issue when going backwards, but nothing pipefittings and clamps couldn't handle if you were in a jam.

There are threads on here showing home made systems as well as modified systems . Do what you feel is best for your situation.

FASS and AD target people that are looking for more than just a pump and filters... maybe something else is better for you so you do not buy things twice.

It is possible to do a system with separate filters, but for most a compact self contained unit is the way to go. For those wanting to build their own system, the AirDog guys have a stand alone pump called the Raptor.

Thanks for the input guys. One last question. Is the 1/2 inch lines the way to go? I will probley not be too hard headed and just get the ad or fass system. I assume they are reliable.

.50" Line is not needed, .375" is more than enough. Stock truck I think is 5/16" and the biggest reason it don't work is cause of the feeder pump dodge uses.

Most people have great luck with the a/m systems out there

3/8" is plenty for you, and a FASS pusher pump without the filters is a great set-up that could easily be replaced by a stock pump if it were to die sometime when you are out of town. And that FASS pusher pump will be able to support up to 600hp if you wanted to go that far.

HOTT RACING said:
Thanks for the input guys. One last question. Is the 1/2 inch lines the way to go? I will probley not be too hard headed and just get the ad or fass system. I assume they are reliable.

3/8" is all you will need for line size, and im not sure how big of a hurry your in but I will have alot of stuff for sale for an 01 vp truck soon.