01 H.O. falls on its face

snow ram

Newb
friend of mine has an 01 HO that anytime you get above 20-25psi boost it shuts down like it ran out of fuel

he has some new era diesel injectors, glacier pusher pump and an edge comp box

at first he thought maybe it was the edge so he took that off and it still does it

so he went to checking his fuel pressure and its up around 17ish at idle and drops to about 13-14 or so under load (before it shuts down)

hooked the scan tool up to it and came up with only one code, i believe it was an overboost code. he cleared the codes and it is still doing it

any ideas? possibly a bad VP?

he said it ran just fine all day and even at the truck pull but he went to get on the interstate and it just fell on its face at anything above 25psi

i forgot to mention he did try blocking his WG and it still did it

-Josh

The edge box could well have an issue. If the truck was running fine and then stoped working all of a sudden, that would be my bet.

It should defuel at higher then stock boost without something acting as a boost fooler (which is one of the functions the comp performs), so taking the edge out and the truck still defueling does not eliminate the edge as the problem.

If it was me i would try to find someone local with a similar setup, plug there box in and try it. I think that will identify the problem.

Chris

Last edited:
I had the same exact problem your talking about and mine slowly got worse till I could on make about 7lbs. Take off your air filter if it even looks slightly dirty and unhook your wastegate, my problem ended up being a combo of both.....found out after pulling off my chip, changing IP's and beating my head off a wall. Check the small stuff first.

try unplugging the map sensor from the block, but leave the edge hooked to the factory harness...this is a trick guys use to get more low boost smoke...but if the map sensor is giving faulty readings to the edge it could cause this problem with the edge installed and without it. its worth a try.

also any noises when it loses power at 25psi? might be a boost leak...just trying to give the simple/cheap solutions first!

Sounds like the boost fooling in the comp isn't working. Got a friend with a box or programmer you can borrow? I was a smart guy who added 200+ hp worth of fuel at once with not so much as a box on my truck, so I'm *very* familiar with overboost defueling =P You shouldn't be able to get a p0234 if the edge box was functioning correctly.

Talked to the guy tonite and he said that he tried a box off his dads truck and it got to about 30 psi and then lost it. His low fuel pressure light comes on when this happens too.

he also has a guage under the hood and says that it goes to 8-9 when the light comes on.... 8-9psi supply should still run the VP just fine though shouldnt it?

Pressure could be fine but there might not be enough volume to support the fuel requirements on the pump. Since it's only doing this at large % of throttle I think you are getting closer to an answer.

I run 9-10psi at full throttle with alot of fuel flowing in my truck...but I run 1/2" lines with high flow fittings.

Its not always pressure, its volume too!

He told me that the air filter was a little dirty. Well that was an understatement.... The thing was totally plugged to the point where the turbo sucked it in! I put a new one on for him and all is well now. Funny how you overlook the little things....