01' lb7 injector removal

sdreese@duramax

green machine
i was wondering if you have to pull the cylinder head's to remove the fuel injectors on an 01' lb7 d-max. thanks:umno:

No you dont have to remove the head to get the injectors out.
Your going to have to take everything off the top of the valve covers and then remove the fuel lines so you can access the upper valve cover once the upper is removed you will be able to get to the injector harness to remove it once harness is removed you can remove the lower valve cover and gain access to the fuel return lines once the return lines are off you will be able to remove the injector hold down bolts and then use the injector removal tool to pull the injectors out be careful when doing this or you will pull the injector sleeve out wit the injector and it is a pain in the a$$ to get the injector out of the sleeve when it is not in the truck. I have only had one do this in many sets that we have changed.
I would also recomend buying new upper and lower valve cover bolts you will have problems with them I garuntee it everyone I have done I had the small allen head bolts strip out.
The head of the bolt is very soft and strips very easy.

If you are not very familiar with the older D-Max I would recomend letting someone help you with this that is. It is quite a job if it is not something you do everyday.
Hope this helps
Shane

thanks

hey thanks me and my buddy had a 20$ bet going that you had to pull the heads and i won!!!:woohoo:

Just done mine on an 04 lb7 and your right 10.5 hours and have done a few. One more hint to help is to make sure the fuel lines are cleaned out.

very good point I clean and blowthem out with air before going back together.
Shane

Also, 01-03 have 200,000 mile warranty on stock injectors.

wayne

I mean`t the factory injectors, they will replace them as many times as they go bad in 200,000 miles and I think 7 years.

wayne

They are factory replacements, so Ill try to plead my case. Are they doing all 8 or just the bad ones? I had a CP3 failure that took out all 8 last time.