02 lb7

tryblue

looking at buying a lb7 2002 160k. original owner, older gentleman, garaged kept. serviced every 5k since new by the same local shop. never any serious problems. He said when it idles for a while it'll puff 1 puff of smoke then its fine until it idles for awhile. No leaks, truck is clean. What do you all think? how much should I pay? Do you think it'll need injectors? Also do they have any head gasket issues or any other major issues?

If it doesn't need injectors now it will if they haven't already been replaced.

I'm not to worried about them, I just didn't know if there were any other major issues to look for.

I would get the balance rates checked just to be on the safe side. Injectors are a minimum of $235 each if you can even find them for that price a lot of places they are 275-300. That is $2400 just in injectors, throw in labor and other misc. items and you will be over $3000. A balance rate test will give you a good idea of how long you have. Also 01-02 trucks can be more prone to blowing head gaskets if you put much extra power to them. Just some things to keep in mind.

I bought it, drive home good! but no haze at idle just raw fuel smell. under heavy throttle hazes but no too bad. it was dark so hard to tell color. Engine sounds, runs, and performs good. Do you think maybe a weak nozzle could be the issue or just screw it and put all injectors in?? thanks

eight bosch remans from lincoln diesel are $1700. gasket kit is about $120-$150. definitly get balance rates checked. check the oil level and make sure it isn't over-full as cracked nozzle bodies and loose/leaky lines can dump fuel in the crankcase. i would recommend a used oil analysis when you change the oil