02 questions?

Mudn_1

Sweet Home
I have found an 02 (Stock truck) 6 speed 4x4 in good shape for a good price with 100,000miles!

first, the truck was about two quarts low on oil!?? we added oil and cranked it cold (no smoke), could it be a leak or just not enough put in? Or could it burnin that much oil between changes which it is ready to change!!

Second, The water pump was changed recently, do these go out often or is there another problem? could the engine be damaged from this and how could i tell?

this truck is in pretty good shape overall it just needs some TLC!! also there are no codes on the PCU or ECU!

any help would be greatly appreciated, and any other problems i might look for too

Well I have never used a carfax before and may never, but say for instance the insurance company fixed your last truck and you sold it not telling the guy who bought it that it was wrecked (not that you would do that but some people do). Imagine the look on his face if he did a history report later and found that.

Low oil might have just been an underfill by the last person who changed it. And the water pump's on these trucks rarely go out. I'm on my stocker at 150k miles.

Wouldn't worry to much about the water pump, they will make it 500k or 50k, just depends on how drunk the guy building it got the night before :D

Oil, potential issue, find out who did the last service on the truck and when. If it's leaking that much it'll be onvious where it's coming from after a short drive, and if it is leaking I'd lay money on the oilpan gasket :bang

Carfax, according to Andy, is not worth a dayum. I've never used it so I can;t say one way or the other.

depending on the price some of those little things can be an easy fix that knocks some coin off the price when you negotiate. I like my 02, but may get a 3rd gen if I ever get a second truck.

I would deffanently get a fuel preasure gauge on that VP, wish I had done that to my truck when I bought it because 6 months later the pump crashed at 102,000. If the psi drops below 7-8 free-revving the motor your pump may already be on the way out.
Check to see if it is the original lift pump, if so I would can it for a Fass or something simular.
This is common knowledge on any VP truck so I may be wasteing my hunt and peck typeing skills.

Ah yes, but with that being an HO motor it has the "good" VP that will take much more punishment than the wimpy ol' regular VP trucks such as your have on them Tyler :D :D :D

The HO motors have a much better pump, it will drive at least 6hrs at 75+ without any FP at all. Found this out the first time I went to a shop day at Jeff Garmon's and BU helped me check out the truck for known issues right after I got it.

Mine went the first 6 months of it's life with 0 fuel pressure and then negative fuel pressure when I tapped the wire on the comp and it still lived to the ripe old age of 135k miles. :D

Mudn_1 said:
also are carfax worth a ****?

Car faxes are well worth it... I work at a car dealership... If there was a police report on the vehicle it will tell you what happened, where it happened, and when it happened.

i have the spare vp that came off my truck (hrvp) and the fass and everything you see on the old sig but i was just wonderin about those quest.?

the truck is ok just needs ball joints and one inner tie rod!! anyone have any input on any of this!! oh yea the transfer case is leaking between the transmission!!

i did they said about 300 to fix!! and about 900 to replace all the ball joints and one tie rod end!!

900 for ball joints and a tierod end isn't too bad. I had to pay a grand for just the ball joints in my 02...