02 swap to a common rail???

sinfulcoin

Hey guys I am a long time looker on here and I am not new to cummins world. I would like to ask if anyone has swapped a CR into an 02. Pump went south on a truck I just bought and I got a good deal on a 04.5 motor :rockwoot:. I want to know if this will go smooth as I have more than enough time. I want to know if all gauges and the SEL light will work after this. Any advice would be great. MOD's to come on the CR. TT, TCp3's, cam, springs, ported head, triple disk clutch. Thanks guys.

i would think with an ecm from a common rail and some fabircation to the motor mounts it really wouldnt be that bad?? But i have no idea

You would need all electrical components to swap to. The cr uses electronics from the computers in the truck to fire the injectors.

I have every part that I could think of and I am going to tear into this as soon as I get all the motor mods done. This trucks sits as I lost one before in a divorce and this one is going to be my baby. I just want more out of it than I think the vp44 will ever give me. Yes I have thought about monster pump mike and the dragon flow from II. But personally I just what the CR performance and life expectancy. If I don't get many thoughts on this I will take pics and do a write up anyway. Goals are to make it look as stock as a twin turbo CR:charger: in a common rail can look.

Keep us updated on it and some pics would be neat. Do you have the whole 3rd gen truck to use as a donor?

Let me know how it goes cause I'm going that route as soon as I can get some money saved up or I blow this motor with my next few mods. Either way, I'm doing it.

i just cant see how hard it could be if you have all the electrical components to go with it. It sure would be sweet to have the sound of a common rail in a 2nd gen!! Wouldnt be able to beat that IMO. Maybe down the road i will look into doing this.

I bought a front clip of a truck and there for I think I have every thing that I am going to need. I plan on electric fans and I am going to move some things that way I can make it as clean as possible. Right now I have the CR apart and in the process of ordering parts. Specs on the truck are its a 02 xcab longbed with a 5600 in it with 56k on it. I am curious to see how long its going to last behind this CR as I am building it to be a killer.

cant be any worse than swapping a cr into a ford.

That's what I was thinking when reading all this, I wouldn't know how to do it, but it's got to be possible considering the number of Fords out there with CR's.

Hey guys I am a long time looker on here and I am not new to cummins world. I would like to ask if anyone has swapped a CR into an 02. Pump went south on a truck I just bought and I got a good deal on a 04.5 motor :rockwoot:. I want to know if this will go smooth as I have more than enough time. I want to know if all gauges and the SEL light will work after this. Any advice would be great. MOD's to come on the CR. TT, TCp3's, cam, springs, ported head, triple disk clutch. Thanks guys.

Puller?

I haven't made my mind up or not if this truck is going to be a full time puller or not. Maybe if I can find a decent price mega-cab dually with a 5.9 in it. Reason I am doing the Triple SB is because guys talking about it shifting alot better than a DD SB and I thought that if I do make it a fulltimer then it will already be in the truck with one less thing to worry about.

we swapped in a 03 motor into my 96 and all my gauges except my fuel level works becuase i am running a fuel cell now. factory tach works, alt, oil, temp, and speedo all work. takes some fab skills to get it all right.

I was just reading over this thread and was wondering if you would still be able to use a vacume pump on a cr motor. 3rd gens use a p/s pump but I dont think they have a vacume pump like the 2nd gens do they? Please help I will be doing this same swap here in a month or so.

I was just reading over this thread and was wondering if you would still be able to use a vacume pump on a cr motor. 3rd gens use a p/s pump but I dont think they have a vacume pump like the 2nd gens do they? Please help I will be doing this same swap here in a month or so.

no you will not be able to use the 3rd gen vacume pump or the 2gen pump. i used an electric pump from summit for 200 bucks and it works great.