03-04.5 Common Rail

RockinRam96

So, I've half way been trying to sell my 96 ECLB 12 valve. I got a trade offer for a 03 1-ton, a 6-speed, 4x4, dually. I'm new to the common rail world since I've only owned a 12 valve and a VP truck.

So, my big question is what is the big difference between an 03-04.5 and a 04.5-05 common rail? ECM tuning? Injectors? What are the performance capabilities of an 03?

I'm thinking I'll keep my 12 valve just because I've always like the body style and I just like these old motors. But I've also always wanted a puller and thinking this may be a better candidate than my 12 valve since it is an auto. Thoughts?

pistons are different, spray angle is different, 2 injection events instead of three, generally better mpg, power potential is there without a doubt. Tuning options are different, as yet no efi live.

I prefer 03/04 trucks. Seems their not as Moody as 04.5-06 trucks. My puller is an 03 of which I built a stand alone harness and run an 06 ECM for efilive data logging/tuning. I prefer the 03/04 pistons. Power potential is the same. Tuning is the same minus efilive for the earlier trucks at this point.

ECM and pcm if you have an auto is all in one on 04.5 and up I believe. My buddy has an 03 with a pcm on the firewall my 04.5 does not have that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some info I found:

2003-2004 trucks have an 8 hole nozzle

2004.5+ trucks have a 5 hole nozzle

Both trucks use a different piston bowl design also

555 5.9 and 6.7 injector nozzles have a wide spray angle due to a reentrant bowl design.

600/610 5.9 injector nozzles have a narrow spray angle due to the open non-reentrant bowl design.

555 motor: 143* injector spray impacts annular region of 113* piston bowl, concentrating combustion towards the piston dome. 8 hole nozzles with two injection events

600/610-series: 124* injector spray impacts central region of 140* piston dome, propagating combustion towards the cylinder wall. 5 hole nozzles with three injection events

Bowl volumes are only .7cc different (~1.5%), so the choice doesn't significantly impact compression ratio - every .005" of compressed gasket thickness or piston protrusion is just over 1cc.

Re-entrant combustion is more efficient, reduces thermal flux into the block & head, and allows better piston geometry - especially regarding the top ring land - to handle the heat & pressure

Back