03-04 reliability/economy questions

kas83

Hi all, I've been looking around, and have been finding some really good deals on 03-04 trucks, most with 100-125k miles. I have heard that the early CR motors got excellent fuel economy, both stock and with tuners. Any truth to that statement? How do the stock autos hold up to a mild tuner, and pulling approx 10k lbs? Any early run problems with the trucks, ie injectors, reflashes etc, like other brands had? Any quirks or common failure points with this era truck? Thanks in advance.

Intentions for the truck are towing ~10k lbs on occassion during the summer, daily driving duties. Upgrades could include a Juice/Attitude combo, intake and exhaust. If needed, I'd do small tranny upgrades to help it out. Not going to go crazy if I pick one up, just want something economical and reliable to haul the 97 around.

i have an early 03 so i have the old tranny in it instead of the 48. I have 189,000 on mine and the only thinks that i have had to replace is the injectors, and i had the tranny rebuilt. i had the edge juice with attitude and 90 injectors and i blew my tanny out. My truck has all highway miles and with a big horse trailer pulled about 85% of its life. I have not had to have the computer reflashed or anything else. If u do get one thought i would recommend putting a fass pump on it cause the stock fuel filter only does 10 micron and u want something smaller. the fass does down to 3 micron and u will also not have to worry about the pump going out down the road. any other ?s just pm me. thanks.

Back