03 6.0 needs new heads

dukcaln

Well guys I cracked a head and now I need to replace them. Here is my question, should i run aftermarket heads fireringed or should I run the stock head with a good gasket and studs? I had my original heads machined, cut for firering and studed with hypermax gasket and my head cracked under 40psi of boost. I am running 190cc inj and custom sct tuneing. My truck hydrolocked when the #8 inj tip cracked so i am hoping there is no bent rods. What is your take? Are fords heads different now then they where in 03? I take it they are.........meaning would it be a different head new no than it was in 03? What about porting of the stock head? Basically I am asking could I get away with factory heads, good gasket and studs and run my current mods with a wastegated non vgt turbo at say 45psi.....What would a stock head with gasket and studs be good for as far as psi..........

Now that you are going with new heads i would have them ported and polished, replace all the cast iron valve seats with bronze seats. As far as running stock gaskets and stud you should have no problem. I think Redneck6.0L is running stock gaskets with studs.

well, looks like the head on the side of the #8 inj is leaking around the sleeve. as for head condition its self, wont know until its pulled off today. If its just the sleeve then i will replace it and reinstall the head with new gaskets for both sides. Other than that if its the actual crack in the head I will go with new heads and do like you said with head gasket and studs. Not sure if it is worth porting and polishing the head....whats the cost of that

Why no rings..............I have been tossing that back and forth...

WOW, the more I read about fire ringing the more I say no....I think i am going with new heads, stock gasket and studs...only other question is, do i port and polish the heads???

Depends on if you want to spend the money for a minimal gain. I haven't seen much improvement unless it was the high horse power guys. I don't think I would spend the money to get them ported and polished.

I look at it this way. If youre gonna have the heads off and you are able to get them ported and polished, you might as well. When youre spending the money to do studs and gaskets....

I hear what your saying....I think i am getting away from the fireringed heads...may go stock heads with port and polish with studs and a gasket.......just not sure I trust this thing anymore.........since it hydrolocked. I will know 100% tomorrow if there is rod damage or piston...if so I am scewed..........

Back