03 6.0l in and 04

jarasic

Just wondering if anyone might be able to help. My buddy had me pick up an 03 6.0 for him with 55000km to replace his 04 6.0 (240000 km) with blown head gaskets.

Before he installed the 03 he replaced the head gaskets, installed arp studs and egr delete. His issue now that the truck is back together and has a no start after alot of cranking. He gets great base oil pressure but there seems to be zero fuel smell in the exhaust while cranking. The shop sold him the 04 egr delete which required him to install his 04 intake on the 03 block. He hasn't started inspecting the ICP sensor yet but will look at that today. Would anyone know any issues with installing an 03 6.0 in an 04? ecm/pcm conflicts, or anything else electrically related? The two harnesses were nearly the same. The only difference other than the high pressure rails under the valve covers was the sensor on the right valve cover on the 04 which is located near the back of the head on the 03.

Is the ICP sensor accessable without removing the turbo?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Jaris

I don't know about the electrical part. But the ICP can be gotten to if you remove the heat shield and come up from underneath with a shortened wrench. Dapilot has a good write up on how to do this.

You need to do alot...i mean alot of cranking to get these engines fired up after having the oil rails off. How much crankin did you guys do?

He cranked it over what we thought was alot. We tried for an hour or so straight (letting the battery charger catch up in between). It just doesn't seem like there are any diesel fumes at all coming out the tail pipe. I cracked all the fuel lines and bleed the air out for a while. I think I heard the "ticking" of the injectors cycling when the key was turned on like I have read in other posts. I'll tell him to crank more.

Thanks for both replies so far.

He had to use the 03 harness because of the ICP location on the 03 under trubo as aposed to it being on the valve cover of the 04. This was the only difference between the two harnesses other then the routing. He did a ICP test yesterday hooking a volt meter inline and watching the voltage as it cranked. The voltage didn't change while cranking so he is suspecting either an hpop problem or a leak on the oil rail under the valve covers.