03 Compound/Twin NV5600 4x4 Build!

BadBowtie03

Hey guys, this is my first posting as well as my first serious diesel build. I have had my 03 NV5600 4x4 for about 3 years and love it. I hadnt done anything serious power wise until now. Its only had an intake, exhaust and an S06 smarty. Basically the truck would only run in the 16's @ 85mph or so. The truck has 170k on it... burns no oil and has no blow by to speak of.

Anyways, I just lately got bit hard by the power bug... so the real buying of parts has started. I read and read and read to finally figure out what I wanted. I settled on a twin/compound kit from MPI. I read a lot of good about his kits. I went with a 62/65/14 over S475. It will be ran with an HTT manifold and he is going to port match the entire kit. From there it will be fueled with new bosch motorsports 75% over injectors that I am getting from Shane at motorsport Diesel. Also tomorrow I will be ordering the 10.6 stroker pump from him too.

The pump will be fed with a FASS 150 titanium and the Valair ceramic DD is going in the truck in about a week. I also purchased ARP 425 studs for it as well as 103# Hamilton valve springs. The tuning will be done by Gecovey at Coffman Customs.

I am hoping to make out with about 700-750 horse. No idea what that equals on torque... what maybe 1200? So, with all that said... what do yall think? Am I missing anything for the truck to run right and be reliable? The only other thing I was considering doing was the coolant bypass kit. Do yall think thats necessary? Oh and also, I was considering putting the Pusher intake manifold on the truck too... what about that? necessary?

What do you think the truck would run in the 1/4? Or more importantly... what mph? How will it handle the power on the street with the 35's and 3.73 gear? I've never driven a truck with this much power and dont really know what to expect. I've driven a good many fast cars... but this is different. Will the 700hp be enough to light the tires from a roll in 4th or 5th? Will my gas mileage suffer? I plan to still drive her conservatively most of the time as I travel for work and mainly go 60-65 on back roads visiting farms that are a good many miles away from me.

The truck is usually empty but about 3-4 times a year I hook a 10k travel trailer up and we go camping. Will it run good for when I need to do that? Any advice? Things I should change? Thanks a lot guys!!

Oh and I will update this build thread as I go... Currently the truck is waiting for the install of the injectors, arp studs and valve springs... Thats going to happen in a week or two I hope. Im gonna do all that at one time. Then directly after that is over its getting the FASS put on with the clutch. Then my twin kit should be built by then and I will put that on with the CP3... Its all ordered... I cant wait!

Did you order the Valair DD rated to 800? I had the one rated to 650 and it lasted maybe 10k miles at 700HP.

I have 3.73's with 33's and it lights em up in 4th no problem, in 5th it gets a little squirrely.

My setups good for 12.5 but, It's all about the driver in bolt action truck aka 6 speed haha.

I got the new Quiet dual disc. I guess it is only rated to 650-1300 torque... Its a ceramic model and 3800 lb. I told them I might go to the track a few times here and there... It won't be dedicated to the strip. Did you do bunches of boosted launches? Was yours the same one as mine or was it organic? Thanks man

Basically if you have a underrated clutch for your setup it's eventually just going to wipe the face of the discs

I got the new Quiet dual disc. I guess it is only rated to 650-1300 torque... Its a ceramic model and 3800 lb. I told them I might go to the track a few times here and there... It won't be dedicated to the strip. Did you do bunches of boosted launches? Was yours the same one as mine or was it organic? Thanks man

I did maybe 5 boosted launches at 700 before it was toast.

This was what I looked like when I took it out. The individual pucks on the clutches were chunked and has pieces missing out of them.

It was the street ceramic DD. It held up fine when i was 550 and 650ish though. Even with messing around.

Attachments

• CAM00858_zpsiypfiyfm.jpg
    CAM00858_zpsiypfiyfm.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 0
well dang now you have me worried... It was the first thing that I bought when I started buying parts. Its sitting in my garage brand new never installed. It was what they recommended. When I told them a twin kit and I would be around 650-700... maybe my goal went a little higher to 700-750 with all my parts now... So, should I call them back and see if they will pay to ship it back and then get a different one? Are they good with customer service like that? I told them that I had wanted to over do it on the clutch and thats what he told me was good. That it would definitely hold with more power than I was going to make.

I just called and talked to Valair. They were saying that they are underrated and it should be fine with 700-750 as long as I am not doing boosted launches. I wasnt planning on it at all anyways. So maybe I would be ok? I only plan to take it to the track once or twice when the twins get on there just to see what mph it will run. I dont plan to race it every weekend at all. It might only see the 1/4 mile track a couple more times.

Also, I tow a 10k lb travel trailer with the truck about 3-4 times a year and he was saying that the comp DD is pretty rough to tow with. So... I dunno, I might just go with it.

Well if they say it'll be fine then I guess it will. Just don't do boosted launched like they said.

I just ordered a Pusher Intake for the truck as well... I think the only other thing I can think of buying is maybe the collant bypass. Anything else yall think I need for my setup? Oh I got the upgraded hydraulics from Valair for the clutch also. Its going to have a rail press gauge, boost & egt. Yall think a second boost gauge is needed for the small turbo? It is wastegated internally from MPI. Nathan at MPI was saying I could just see what the boost is on the small one for a run and then change it over and see what the total boost is and then just leave it there once its tuned right. Or I can get another if yall think its critical also.. what about drive pressure?

My truck is close to the same set up, just bigger twins... but the DD didnt last long, although it was pulled a lot!!!

Now I have a cintered Iron 3600 Triple disc. Daily drive it everyday and dont worry at all about what its going to hold!

But trust me, your going to love the new mods ;)

When you say "pulled" do you mean sled pulls or pulling trailers? Thanks man

Oh and I cant wait till its all done!!

Sounds like a good build. Coolant bypass would be good to do while the transmission is out. You might consider traction bars as well.

--Eric

Hey yall well i finally got here running again! It took me 3 sweat filled late afternoon/nights. I know, I know... that sounds like a long time... Well it was. It was my first time! I ended up doing 75% over injectors from Shane at motorsport diesel, then the Hamilton 103# springs and ARP studs. It takes a long time do do all that! Especially when you are trying to be careful to be clean and not drop anything in the engine bay... Anyways, thankfully I didnt run into any bad problems. It all went together pretty smoooth... Except one small hiccup with the ARP studs. I ended up having to grind down a little bit on the metal block/bridge that the rocker arms sit down on. It was the very corner that is really close to the head stud. Once the studs were in and I was putting the rockers back on... they just were binding a bit and didnt have enough clearance to get both the main rocker bolts in. Unfortunately I didnt take any pics of the work. It was late last night and I didnt think about it.

Other than that, I think it all went pretty smooth. It is a PAIN trying to work on #6 cylinder though. There is enough clearance back there, but its a lower back breaker just bending over all the time. I think my front Bumper saved me. I was able to sit on it and relax. kinda. lol. Oh and also, it helps taking off your front grille so that you dont hit your head like crazy on it. Here are a couple pics of it all. Oh and I had a friend come and sit on my shoulder for about 20 mins. lol. Hopefully that will give my new Twin build some good luck!

[ame="http://s78.photobucket.com/user/BadBowtie03/media/IMG_20140709_212523254_zpss0ghami1.jpg.html"]IMG_20140709_212523254_zpss0ghami1.jpg Photo by BadBowtie03 | Photobucket[/ame]
[ame="http://s78.photobucket.com/user/BadBowtie03/media/IMG_20140710_214250495_zpshs1ke0c5.jpg.html"]IMG_20140710_214250495_zpshs1ke0c5.jpg Photo by BadBowtie03 | Photobucket[/ame]
[ame="http://s78.photobucket.com/user/BadBowtie03/media/IMG_20140711_235223718_HDR_zpso2dely4h.jpg.html"]IMG_20140711_235223718_HDR_zpso2dely4h.jpg Photo by BadBowtie03 | Photobucket[/ame]