03 cruise coming on/ not wanted

lightsOUT

Truck in question is my fathers. It's an 03 6-spd with 92,000 miles and except for the Smarty it's totally stock and in excellent condition. It also has never had a single failure of any component. Here's the issues he's having....

1. Recently he's been having an issue with the cruise coming on randomly. The light will come on on the dash and the cruise will activate. When you push the button to turn it off it turns off like normal but eventually will return to randomly coming on.

2. After starting the battery gauge pulls down with the grid heater but doesn't return when the grid heater cycles. When the grid heater completely stops cycling the battery gauge will come up to a normal operating range. You can hear the grid heater cycling as well as you can see the lights dim (which is normal) but the gauge doesn't correlate with the cycling on and off.

3. Today when he started it after work it idled up to 1000+ rpms but it had a goofy idle. Had a very tiny miss. When I hit the brake to turn off the high idle it idled down and sounded perfect along with depressing the throttle and holding it at a high idle it sounded perfect. It starts easy in all conditions and doesn't smoke at all so I believe the injectors are working fine.

I mentioned these 3 issues because I'm not sure if they are related or not. I asked him today how old the batteries are and he said he never changed them. Is this a voltage issue because of old batteries or is the issue deeper?

Thanks in advance for any help.

3. Today when he started it after work it idled up to 1000+ rpms but it had a goofy idle. Had a very tiny miss. When I hit the brake to turn off the high idle it idled down and sounded perfect along with depressing the throttle and holding it at a high idle it sounded perfect. It starts easy in all conditions and doesn't smoke at all so I believe the injectors are working fine.

I can tell you this is normal. Not sure on the rest though...

The heater grid cycling and the gauge staying down until completely finished is exactly the way my 05 works too. The goofy high idle/miss can be heard through my exhaust really noticeable, but if you watch the tach it doesnt hardly move so i assume this is normal as it has done it for the three years ive had the truck..

the cruise issue im not sure on but it could be something in the clock spring behind the wheel is going bad and making contact somehow.. other than that i dont know off hand.

Thanks Tim and Forrest. I asked dad if he ever payed attention to his gauge and he said no, so I'm just going by how my 07 was. After the responses I'm not too worried about the high idle and the gauge.

Now, to figure out this cruise issue. I've never really worked on a clock spring and don't really know what it does. I always thought it was just to cancel the turn signals.

I'll update this thread to help anyone who might have the same issue.

A few weeks ago dad had a crank sensor code that kept popping up. So he replaced it and it kept happening. Upon further inspection he noticed two of the teeth on the tone ring somehow got damaged. He replaced it with a new one from cummins and it's been trouble free ever since. Including the cruise issue. I don't know if they're related or not but it's been trouble free since the repair.

Back