03 F350 DRW Fummins build

Knoxxy

Hey guys figured I've lurked long enough I may as well show off my truck build. It's currently not 'compeitiondiesel' worthy but will be soon hopefully. Cliff notes on the bottom.

The truck was a workhorse for my dad that he bought new in 03 that he used for our nursery business and his own personal use to tow his race vehicle across the states. Was originally equipped with a 6.0 powerstroke and a 5R110. He outfitted it with a DVD system, 3 tvs (two in the headrests, one on a stick in the front of the center console), and a topper. Eventually I talked him into to running 22.5" Alcoa's when people were first starting to run them on trucks and he was able to drive down and pick them up from a warehouse in Miami with my brother.

l_28505a77d6a3f36aabee10aa623f60cd.jpg

--- This is a picture of it before we put the 22.5s on it.

Fast forward a couple months and the old man bought my mom a Cadillac and ended up driving it more then she did so he bought himself one (guess after years of driving idi's and powerstrokes theres a point you'll reach that you don't want to drive a bus no more). As such the truck just sat in his garage and I decided to make an offer on it.

DSC00381.jpg

--- I ditched the topper added a toolbox/fuel tank combo and drove for a couple months. Till the truck wouldn't start one day. Towed it to a shop got a bill for $4500 and vowed to never let another mechanic touch the truck. I would do whatever it takes to learn how to do it myself... Then the transmission went out.

He had the first edge they made on it and it didn't take long for me to blow it up being dumb. Junkyard trans from an 05 F550 and I was up and running again for about one month until it just starting letting go. ICP sensor, replaced it ran ok for a bit, blocked off the EGR in the process of the ICP sensor, then the head gaskets let go. Being an overwhelmed with the complexity of the 6L and the amount of electronics with no good software out at the time that was a reasonable price, I decided I'd put a 12v in it. Since then it has been nothing but an on going project, but I haven't had a week I haven't been able to drive the truck since. When I had the powerstroke in it, the truck was down for weeks/months as I tried to diagnose it/fix it.

0113101537.jpg

DSCI0008.jpg

--- Engine installed just trying to finish it up.

DSCI0006.jpg

Started out with a 93 Dodge D250 I pulled the engine and transmission from and put it in the truck.

DSCI0010.jpg

Sold the dodge, sold off remaining parts, and almost recouped most of what I put into it.

But the nonlock up a518 was really starting to hate to try and push the big ol' school bus let alone I was still putting a pretty heavy load on this truck with the business every once in a while.

cid__0223091126.jpg

So I found a deal on a 96 12v with a NV4500 and everything to switch it over. But the 96 motor has a bad injection pump. The guy took the transmission out of another fummins mud truck that he put a allision 545 into, so I had a ford master/slave cylinder+pedal assembly.

Put all that together, got a new driveshaft made, and found out the transmission is junk and the master/slave clyinder is even more junk. But I'm still driving to this day until I get money together to fix it too. I just tore down the front off the truck again to install a new lift pump cause the current one died so I decided I'd go ahead and finally get the AC going plus figured why not install the HX35 that came with the 'pee' pump cause the 21cm housing on the current engine with a stick was a slow spooler.

That's where I am currently, a 5spd that has almost no syncro's or fifth gear, a master cylinder that barely pushes enough fluid, and a slow 12v ve pump. But I'm on a slow budget but it seems like it's getting better with each thing I do lol and I still have almost nothing in it.

Cliff notes:

Bought the truck.
Repeatedly broke truck.
Bought a 93 Dodge D250 installed a 518 and ve engine.
Bought a project 96 cummins p pump/nv4500.

I got couple videos of the truck on my youtube, since both I've backed the smoke screw off a couple turns, it wasn't so bad with the automatic unless it was intentional but with the 5spd it was uncontrollable and I grew out of it.

I got a bunch of plans for it now (who doesn't) which I'll showcase here as I complete them. I just flew from FL to Topeka, KS to watch the finals, and that may have influenced my plans for the truck a little. :st:

Forgot the link to the youtube account.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR-spdi2fmc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR-spdi2fmc[/ame]

As you'll see in the video I'm pretty good at shifting without using the clutch now.

Last edited:
Very nice!

BTW, I love those style of Ford dually wheels. Too bad they are in a metric pattern. :(

Congrats on the conversion. Looks good, just need to pull those Powerstroke badges off the doors.

Back