03 service question

joez farmerboy

i have a 03 and need to do a complete service on it. decided to do it myself to save some money these days! can anyone tell me how much oil is needed for the front/rear axils? if you were doing it yourself someone told me to use lucas oil stabilizer too if so how much do i need? my truck is a 6 speed so i need someone to tell me how to service the tranny. other than that i have done everything else before. oh one more would you use lucas in the motor oil also? i appreciate anything you could advice you could give me. thanks
joe z.

ps see yall at scheids if yall are going!

:thankyou2:

roughly 4qt's in the rear and 3.5 in the front. I believe you have to use anti slip additive also in those axles.

Not much to do in servicing a manual. Change the fluid is mainly what's done.

Lucas is very popular in the gasser world and I'm sure some with diesels use it. What's the best is really a loaded question. Everyone has their favorites.

Rotella
Valvoline
Amsoil
Schaeffer

to name a few

What size is your rear axle? 10.5 or a 11.5?

Generally you won't need to add a anti-slip additive. If it starts to chatter you can always add it if you want. I think Lucas sells an additive in a 3 oz bottle or something.

Do you tow often and tow heavy? If not run 75w-90 in both axles and call it a day, any of the good synthetics out now will let you run 50k miles or over before having to drain it.

I also have a 03, its a 3500. Engine 10 quarts, transmisson 9.5 pints, front diff 4.9 pints, rear diff 4.9 pints for the 10.5 diff, 7.6 pints for the 11.5 diff. Not sure which transfer case they have, as there is 4 of them list, but takes from 3.4 to 4 pints. Transmisson, need a 17mm allen socket, to drain & fill. Transfercase uses a 10mm allen socket. Transmisson uses Manual Synchromesh transmisson fluid (5W30), transfercase uses ATF. Hope this helps.

thanks guys i will be doing it this weekend and apperciate all your help.
any esle help is also appreciated.

ok i'm an idiot. could someone show me where the drain plug and fill is on the axles and the transfer case. also need to know how to do the manual. my last truck was a drain the bottom and fill the top on the axles and this is frist 4x4 and manual. any instructions or pictures will be greatly appreciated. thanks for all yalls help.

You will have to pull the diff covers off to drain, then fill through the only hole in the cover. Im not a manual trans guy but i would say the lowest plug is the drain and the highest is the fill.

Dodge rear axles do not use cluches for the limited slip, so no friction mod is required.

You will have to pull the diff covers off to drain, then fill through the only hole in the cover. Im not a manual trans guy but i would say the lowest plug is the drain and the highest is the fill.

Dodge rear axles do not use cluches for the limited slip, so no friction mod is required.

that was my guess but wanted to ask compd guys first just in case!!!

still need help with transfer case and manual!!!

If i 'm not mistaken the T-Case drain plug should say "Drain" near the plug. I have to change my oil filter today so i'll look for you later on. I can't help ya the manual tranny. I 'm sure someone else will chime in.

Like I said already, you need a 17mm allen socket. On the away from the exhaust there is allen plugs, remove the lower one, its the drain. Upper one is the fill plug. On the back side of the transfer case, 10mm allen plugs, upper fill, lower is drain, there on the drivers side of the transfer case.