03 turbo whistle

Bad Moose

Just a pain in the arse
I just got done putting on the 3.5 down tube and cat delete. Test drove it and wow could not beleive the turbo spool up and low egt's. Wife could not get over hearing me go around the block with the po'd hairdryer. I have searched the turbo whistle and knew it was going to be louder when I did :nail:this, but is there anything to quiet the whistle down. It is only annoying when driving around town. Not going to put cat back on or going to shave years off to enjoy whistle. I enjoy being "old" but do not enjoy wife :blahblah1::blahblah1:chewing on me, won't trade her in for a new model too expensive.

No idea. Probably magnaflow or mbrp. Most people enjoy the super whistle.

I have the Grandrock QP muffler, and its gotten rid of 90% of the whistle.

Trade turbos?

I think there is benefits to the 03 turbo besides the whistle. Too many wanting to trade to 03 turbos. Besides that I'm too lazy to pull a perfectly good turbo to swap with aother perfectly good turbo. Wife does not whine that much.

I think there is benefits to the 03 turbo besides the whistle. Too many wanting to trade to 03 turbos. Besides that I'm too lazy to pull a perfectly good turbo to swap with aother perfectly good turbo. Wife does not whine that much.

I'd love to know what the benefits would be. Would they be the smaller shaft bushings?

So people just actually want the whistle? No other benefits beside smaller bearings? Man I'm getting old.

Did the spacing between the bearings change, or just the size of the bearing? If there's the same space (like an inch or whatever, picking a number) between the bearings, there shouldn't be any difference in what the bearing size is. Unless of course the bearing itself can't support the weight load of the turbines. I'm not sure if I'm making my question clear or not...

The 3 blades were added in the 04 and later to cut down on the whistle to eliminate the resonator from the downpipe. 13 blades have more surface area to put heat into, but have higher pressure cause its tighter through the blades, but its got a huge a/r and you can just open the vgt up a little to compensate.

Did the spacing between the bearings change, or just the size of the bearing? If there's the same space (like an inch or whatever, picking a number) between the bearings, there shouldn't be any difference in what the bearing size is. Unless of course the bearing itself can't support the weight load of the turbines. I'm not sure if I'm making my question clear or not...

The bushings were made wider. 1mm wider to be specific. When the motor shakes back and forth the shaft takes a beating. Thing of spinning a bike tire and trying to turn the handle bars. But spin it 150,000rpm. Thats some serious gyro goin on.

doug posts more here than his own site. I'm having fun following his posts. lol I would take DALpilot's advice. Doug just tells you how chit works and hopes you are smart enough to figure it out on your own.

I run a magnaflow turboback system and w/ the muffler in it knocks down alot of the whistle to keep it from getting annoying inside the truck.

The bushings were made wider. 1mm wider to be specific. When the motor shakes back and forth the shaft takes a beating. Thing of spinning a bike tire and trying to turn the handle bars. But spin it 150,000rpm. Thats some serious gyro goin on.

Okay, so wider bearing surface area, I'm down with that. I'm willing to bet they didn't anticipate the level of oil degradation in these engines when they cut the sump from 19qt to the 13-14 we have now.

Back