04 6.0 to 12v swap???

Bosshawg600

PDP.com FireFighter
I was drinking a few beers with my buddies dad and he has had his 04 6.0 for about a year and is less than impressed. He LOVES my my truck but he cant get a good deal on a trade in with the truck maket the way its in. So we were thinking of throwing a 12v in his truck.

My question is, how much is it going to be? If we do it, we are going to get a 12v donor truck and swap everything needed and sell everything else, including a good 6.0. If he can break somewere close to even he realy wants to do it. Also we are going to look for a donor truck with a 5sp and keep that mounted to the engine.

I know of guys in the 20k range right now doing a swap...lol Ballers

keep in mind this is going to be a work truck. Just to tow around 10k maybe 15k and he mainly wants good MPG too.

i know a guy n town that has many 12v i will ask him how much would he be able to use a six speed or no

I have a 1997 12v 3500 dually flatbed 4x4 with 180,000 miles on it and the body is very rough. I would not mind selling it, but I'm also in Florida.

The cheapest I did one for was buying the engine and manual tranny with transfer case for $500 and just cleaning it all up and running it as is. With everything else and nothing that looked good I had about $4,000 in it. That includes NO labor at all. It was for a guy that just drives around his property and pulls a airboat every weekend. He gets about 18 mpg or so he says.

well who is doing the work? If a shop is doing it the price is obviously going to be a ton higher. It also depends on how much you get the motor and tranny for? You can do it yourself for less that 5 grand.

Thats what we were thinking. Its going to be a Barn Job. His son is a master Fabricator, he is a mechanic, and Ill be around to trow it all together. Plus we are going to sell everything not needed to recoup some of the money.

If you have the fabrication skills, the driveline is going to be your biggest issue. How cheap you can get your hands on the motor/tranny/transfer case is the big thing. Also, if it's a manual transmission, it helps too because you don't have to cut anything in the cab or add pedals. You may have to have some driveshafts made, but no biggie. A few custom lines here and some bushings for guages, will have you up and running in no time. The easiest way I ever did it was taking the whole driveline and swapping it. You usually have to make or move the crossmember, but again...no big deal. Utilizing the factory tach is a bit of a chore, but can be done. I've never used any adapter plates and billet flywheels, 6.0 starters, etc and trying to make a repower with ford stuff. If your still wanting to use the Ford transmission, it will need a stand alone controller. (don't use the beaumont one or whatever it is) I would also recommend fabbing your own solid motor mounts. If you ever plan on putting any power to it, you'll be glad you did. I'd say for around 4-5K you could have an awesome transplant.

I'm doing a 12 valve swap into a 01 F350 right now. Search for Mo Smoke he's done it and knows a lot. very nice guy too. There are lots of little things that get lost in translation when doing this swap. Not big deal but would have been nice to know going in. I had a 96 motor to swap and bought the following because I wanted to run the 4R100 tranny.

adapter plate $800
flex plate $700
tc $1100
motor mounts $400

altered drive shafts $250
PCS tranny controller $700
6.0 starter $125
rewired doge alternator $285

3rd gen turbo and exhaust manifold $200 (unless you dont want your a/c any more:) keep in mind moving battery boxes, running new starter cables, fan shroud modifiaction elctrical mods,etc....... on the bright side I highly recommend the swap because the ford optioned diesels suck

if you swap a dodge tranny in with the 12er you'll save some dough. just keep an open mind because you WILL spend more than you thought you would!!!

My swap cost me over $16K (that includes the cost for 500hp E4OD rebuild). I would have gone with an NV4500 in hindsight, who knows what it would have cost to switch it to manual though. Parts and price list are on my truck's website.

Yes, just passenger side broke. I posted a pic of it in my gallery on here. Just got another for a Dodge from Napa until I have the money for the urethane ones from Auto World MT.

How're you guys? Your project truck coming along?