04 6.0 with white smoke. Headgaskets or EGR?

texascadillac42

Just picked up an 04 F350 with 113k on it. According to the OASIS it has never had headgaskets done. Truck smokes white from the exhaust all the time. Increased smoke when boost/rpms increase. Smoke also comes out of the degas bottle with the cap off. Pulled the EGR valve and it is wet, with coolant puddles below the valve down in the intake.

Whats the best way to tell if the headgaskets are bad as well? I am assuming the EGR cooler is junk since there is coolant in the intake, and it will be getting a full delete kit along with a new oil cooler. Whats the best way to tell if headgaskets are also bad? Thanks for any help.

Just got back from running the truck around the block. TONS of white smoke, plenty of power until temp comes up to normal. Then the tone of the motor changes, still tons of white smoke and it almost starts to miss. Uses coolant almost as fast as I can put it in the overflow tank. When we did run it hard, absolutely no puking, nor any evidence of puking in the past. Pulled the EGR valve again and there was even more coolant sitting in the intake so I will order a delete kit and go from there.

EGR delete kit is ordered, along with a new oil cooler. Anything else I should do while the top of the motor is apart? Thanks for the help so far.

Yes, went with Elite. After talking with the customer, he did not want to spend the extra money for your setup Adam. And he wanted it for tomorrow. I know we did not talk about over night shipping. But the customer wanted it, asked me to call Elite, so I did. I did try and sell him on it though.

Adam, I do appreciate your help and advice when I called, Im sorry the customer didnt go for it.

Truck is torn down to the heads. This is the 1st 6.0 I have worked on and what pleasantly surprised at how easy everything came apart. (Hopefully the reassembly will be just as easy) If I can get the oil cooler here by tomorrow or Friday I will try and get it back together for the weekend.

One of these days I'll have to remove my EGR cooler. Still going strong 104,293 miles.

Would this also not be a good time to upgrade the Hipop oil lines? If you've got down this far on the motor, it's what, another plate? (or was that taken care of previously on the OASIS?)

Transmission out and rear plate off. But 04s are bolted. The 05s with snap to connect fittings without the new bracket are the ones that should be checked.

Good advice, I should have asked earlier if there was anything else I should recommend to the customer to do while it is this far apart. Since this truck is an 04 do I not have to worry about the HPOP fitting? I appreciate the help and suggestions so far.

Back