04 6.0 with white smoke. Headgaskets or EGR?

Maybe if you ran some actual strong tuning it wouldn't be! :kick:

I took out my cooler and machined a stainless slug to put in the side where the boost could get to it and made the cap for the rear when I sectioned my scoop out almost 2 years ago. The oil cooler failed after a sustained 140mph run down the turnpike to embarass a g35 coupe. After it pumped all the coolant out of it, the oil cooler had no coolant in it to keep it from overheating. Then it would just seep oil into the coolant. Not much but enough to get some grey sludge. I would usually just run some cascade dishwasher detergent for a day or so before I would change the coolant with the oil changes.

The cascade lemon scented dishwasher detergent was what Ford had us do back in 99 when the oil coolers were popping in the 7.3L powerstrokes. Low Sudsing keeps air bubbles to a minimum.

but your EGR is also blocked off too..

hard to believe the EGR cooler wasn't replaced..but if you say so.

The cooler wasn't replaced. I didn't want to have to pull the plug out of it to return it for a core. To get it in there I stuck it in the freezer and then put a little heat to the cooler. Its not going to come out very easily. I would have to drill and tap it and then put it in a vise and use a slide hammer to get it out.

Whats hard to believe about that?

If it was blocked off and didn't have a chance to get fubar then why would you replace it? It's only hard to believe because it came from your mouth Doug! LMAO

It had 75,000 miles to get messed up. Then a long time ago. I pulled the intake to have it hot tanked. And pulled the up pipe to weld it and blocked it all off.

Update on the truck.

Got it all back together, new oil cooler, Elite Diesel EGR delete kit, and all new filters. Got the truck to start after a little bit of priming and playing around and still had a bit of white smoke..... Nothing to worry about, I figured it was just coolant residue burning off of everything from the massive EGR cooler leak before. Ran it for 15 minutes, still smoking to beat the band.

In a last ditch effort I crossed my fingers and drilled a hole in the cat and muffler and got about 1.5 gallons of coolant out of both. Went out for another 15 min. drive without a puff of white smoke, no check engine lights and tons of power (for stock anyway)...

Next up is a 4" turbo back exhaust and SCT tunes from Eric. Thanks for all the help guys.....now we just gotta hope the head gaskets dont pop.

I wasnt gonna kill myself and do the studs with the cab on, and both of ours bays with lifts have machines in them currently being prepped for paint. If the gaskets let go, it will just be a matter of pushing it in the shop and pulling the cab. I would have liked to have done the studs now, but it just didnt work out.

Back