04 cab swap wont start

dozerjoe

long story short bought a 04 5.9 with lots of cab damage. then i picked up a 03 cab, swapped it on the 04 chassis/drivetrain. also swapped in the 04 steering column, dash and all wiring. my problem is now it starts for a few seconds then dies. from searching i believe the issue the vehicle immobilzer/its not recognizing the key. how do i fix this?

for what its worth all the lights, blinkers, horn, gauges etc work. no fuel lines were ever disconnected. truck ran great before the cab swap.

By chance are you using the wrong key?
I realize the odds of the 2003's key turning the 2004 switch are remote, but it has happened.

Mark.

You're using ALL of the modules, as well?
Fuse box under the hood and module under the seat?

Mark.

entire wiring harness from the dash to the headlights is out of the 04 truck. we also had to swap the wiper motor and master cylinder to match the 04 harness as the 03 was different. both trucks are 5.9 6 speeds from the factory and only like 5-6 months apart. i was surprised to find so many changes between the two

Last edited:
alright, got it all running great. fires right up and drives great. only issue i have now is the air bag light is on and i will have that fixed soon. the problem ended up being the immobilizer got damaged during the steering column swap, a tab got broken off it, the ring was cracked but not completely broken and it wasnt being held in the correct spot. after gluing/zip tieing the immobilizer back together and putting it back in it fired right up and i have since started it 25 times or more and driven around 50 miles.

Back