04 cummins died

white07psd

hey fellas, my father has a 04 dodge 3500 dually with 108k miles on it. the only mods it has is a edge juice with attitude. i was driving it today pulling roughly 20k pounds with the juice on stock setting. i came up a hill running about 55-60 and the top end of the engine started rattling horribly. it sounded like valves rattling horribly loud. i looked in my rear view mirror and it was pouring black smoke. i was like holy **** this is awesome but something aint right. well, i started slowing down to find somewhere to pull off and the engine was running very rough. the engine temp went up to 225 before i could pull off and the egts never got over 1400 going up inclines. i shut it off and tried to restart it. it ran like crap after i let it cool down. the oil didnt smell burnt and it did not loose no coolant. what could it be?

check for codes.....do the key trick. flip the key on and off 3 times really fast and it will display codes on the odometer

The juice software could have taken a crap or you have injector issues

I'm betting either an injector died on ya or the juice crapped out on ya. In an extreme case you might have hurt the motor. 1400* sustained will hurt a piston. But I highly doubt that that is the case.

it was only 1400 degrees going up hills. it was around 850 pulling on flat ground. the number 5 cylinder has no compression and the backside of the turbo is chewed all to hell. it will be getting tore down tomorrow.

white07psd said:
it was only 1400 degrees going up hills. it was around 850 pulling on flat ground. the number 5 cylinder has no compression and the backside of the turbo is chewed all to hell. it will be getting tore down tomorrow.

Why did you blow up your Dad's truck? The 6 peter won't pull the trailer?

Sounds like a valve seat or a roached cylinder. How long did you maintain 1400*?

sootman said:
Why did you blow up your Dad's truck? The 6 peter won't pull the trailer?

my father owns a construction business. my truck is my personal truck. the dodge is a worktruck. we were on a job site and he told me to run to the shop to pick up our excavater. im sure my truck would pull the load ok but handleing it would be hairy.

white07psd said:
no more then 20 seconds.

Ehh. Your running a ragged edge there. I know the 3rd gens can take a little more heat than the 2nd's though so you should be ok. I'm betting a valve seat.

what would cause all the knocking and clunking. i mean i know its a cummins but damn its obnoxious

white07psd said:
what would cause all the knocking and clunking. i mean i know its a cummins but damn its obnoxious

Probably the valve seat and/or valve smacking the piston.:doh:

Back