04 High Idel (not from cold weather)

Red Sleeper

I have been reading and researching for about two months on this problem and have come up with nothing. Its my dad's 04, 305 motor, 4x 6spd. All he has done to it is a 6 gun with a speed loader and an after market Walbrow lift pump.

The truck will crank up and run fine. If he rolls to a stop the motor will idle at about 1000rpm. If he lets out on the clutch to give the engine a slight load it will drop down to 750. Even a load as small as turning on the A/C compressor brings it down to 750. Its been doing this for a good three months. Only code he has is 483 for cooling fan speed. Fuel and air filters get changed on a regular basis (usually every other oil change which is 7k). Any ideas?

pull the chip and see if the issue remains. My 04 does that with smarty TNT and TQ managment level 3.

Hm, thinking about that.. He just fixed a grounding issue on the chip where he pinched some wires while replacing something that involved dropping the collum. When it was off I think the issue was gone..

You have a 305 or a 325? Just wondering.

i remember my 04.5 325 truck would do that when it would get hot. You may have a problem with the water temp sensor telling the computer its running hot. another problem maybe the TPS out of adjustment. Not sure if there is any adjustment on them though.

i wouldnt think the temp sensor would do that to it since it will idle down if you put just a slight load on it. TPS could be an issue . Does anyone know if there is something to that? Any adjustment?

BTW, my truck is an early '04 305HP w/ NV 5600

Last edited:
I got the same thing to my 05 (325 600) after I loaded my Smarty TNT files. It ended up that my rail pressure was set to high and causing my injectors to stick open...maybe this will help.

yea my truck is stock other than a straight pipe and a k&n drop in replacement...could it be a sign of a failing injector??

i get this symptom in at the dealer all the time. i just unhook the batteries, wait like 5 min, then hook em up. Then i get in truck turn key on hit throttle to floor, hold, then let up, start with foot off the pedel, then take it for test drive. has fixed 99% of them. you are just resetting the high and low values for the APPS sensor.

i remember my 04.5 325 truck would do that when it would get hot. You may have a problem with the water temp sensor telling the computer its running hot. another problem maybe the TPS out of adjustment. Not sure if there is any adjustment on them though.

same thing happens to my 05

but only when the t stat is about 5-8-3/4 of the way up, it will idle up till it cools off, and when the t stat goes to half.. it stops and returns to normal idle..

i just ignore it for the most part.. but im guessin its your fan clutch not kickin in when the temp gets high enough..

rick

Back