05-06 6.0l

stivy10

hey fellas. just wandering if the 05-06s are prone to head gasket failure and if the need for arp studs when adding power to these engines was taken care of from 03-04 model yrs to the 05-06s. i might be in the market for a new truck and trying to gather as much info as i can. looking at nothing older than an 03 w/ the 7.3 and looked at some 05-06s. just dont wanna go in blind and know what NEEDS done before what i WANT done. basic mods- exh., intake, tuner would be it for awhile.

The potential is there that if you are going to add power, then you will need HG's and studs. However, the 05-07 trucks do seem to hold up better than the 03-04 trucks. I have had mine tuned for 55000 miles running the Looney or Xtreme Street tune every day, unless towing of course and I have not had a problem with HG's yet (knock on wood). I have even had two aftermarket turbos on my truck, one that pushed 35psi boost regularly. It really is a crap shoot though. Seems there are the lucky ones in every year that have fewer issues.

110k tuned miles on my 05 Ex 6oh....
and if you've seen how I drive it :)

knock on wood, I didn't buy the extended warranty I'm so comfortable with it !

I had a '06 that was problem Prone from the day it was bought new.. I faught with it for 3 years and 65K miles and had Problems from Turbos, Heads & Head Gaskets, Thermostats, EGR, Tranny, T-Case, New Engine at 34K, Front Cover,

So far I've only had turbo issues. The bearings like to go out. Replaced the first one at about 24k, and the replacement is going at 33k.

I'm just going to replace it with Trusted's compound setup and then cease to worry.

I had a '06 that was problem Prone from the day it was bought new.. I faught with it for 3 years and 65K miles and had Problems from Turbos, Heads & Head Gaskets, Thermostats, EGR, Tranny, T-Case, New Engine at 34K, Front Cover,

WOW that is the same things that went wrong with my 05 including the motor at 34k.

What was wrong with your front cover. I have an 05 with 159k, it's leaking coolant and I'm going to replace the gasket when it warms up around here, come April.

From what I have read and seen they all seem to be hit or miss accross all years with each having almost their own little problems.

I bought mine with 49k on it at the end of 07 and it has 101k on it now, got the tuner (innovatives Xtreme race, daily) at 82k and is just now with the cold giving me some issues. Had the EGR valve plug up around 63k with it 100% stock cleaned it and good. Oh, it did get 6 new injectors at 92k though to fix a persistant cold start issue, truck never failed to start, just wasn't happy sometimes.

Dad has an 06 he bought used with 70k on it and it has about 85k or so on it now and hasn't skipped a beat according to the previous owner and the year or so my dad has owned it.

Definitely get an OASIS report run on whatever 6.0L your looking at buying, seems most if they are gonna have problems, will show them early.

There are good engines and bad engines out there. Doesn't matter the year.

I average replacing an injector almost every other oil change...12 so far (I'll let you do the math on that)

and of course the usual stuff like:

Head Gaskets
Oil Cooler
EGR Cooler
EGR Valves
Up pipe
Y-Pipe
Fuel Pump
Power Steering Pump
Water Pump
And I'm fairly certain there is more but it's 1 AM and I can't think too hard.

If you're not willing to shell out a **** load of money to replace a bunch of stuff or "Fix what should have been Fixed from the factory," then sure go ahead and get the 6.0.

Back