05 CR popping/overheating problem

12VALVEADAM

Motivated
So little background on this, I just rebuilt the engine about 3k miles ago. Trans is about 2k miles old also. Engine has 100hp sticks from cpp (previous owner bought them), 188/220 cam, 12v rods, .020 pistons, stock cp3 and lift pump Smarty S06 tuning.

Ever since I rebuilt it it has been randomly overheating to about 220 which in turns get the trans hot. Replaced the t-stat with one from dodge and seemed to fix the problem for a while. So I went to drive it today and noticed a stumble at 1700rpms. Along with the stumble there is a pinging noise like timing is out of whack. So I took it back to stock software and it was not as bad. loaded it back on Level 1 of the tnt-r/revo software. Timing was 1, rp 1, pretty much everything at 1 cause it ran great before with those settings.

So after I loaded it back up, went and drove it and part throttle its pops and blows white like timing slip on a 12v. I can drive thru it by give it more throttle but it will still do it slightly. When it starts to pop all my gauges seem to be normal except the engine temp. It has reached 263 in about 2 min of driving which it has never been that high. Trans was at 270.

I am at my wits end with this truck:soap:. Everything in this truck is brand new front to rear except the computer, front and rear diffs. New radiator, hoses, fan clutch, water pump, sensors ect!! Everything is new. Im beyond confused with this truck and I have no idea what to look at next or what to do. Sorry for the long post, but please help a guy out!!

Did you burp it after filling with coolant? I'll bet anything that's what's going on.

Yup fully burped, stays a t 193 at idle but I'm more concerned about the popping and engine rattle and why it keeps getting hot and then it fine for a few weeks

What is the RP doing? Sounds like an injector issue with the popping and white smoke.

Back