05.. Crank, No start, left me stranded!

superjeep

Just bought an 05' 6L with 150K Auto. Have driven it about 400 miles with no problems other than a few issues that started yesterday. Slight engine stalling when driving constant 40-55 mph. If accelerating it clears out. Also just became hard to start in the cold weather have to crank it a a little to get it started then a puff of smoke comes out. This all just happened the day before she broke down... Weird... EGR and head gaskets have been done 21K ago.

Well I went to fill up diesel after driving about 50 miles from home.. After shutting it off it will not start.

FICM read 48.5 while cranking
IPC sensor unplugged - still no start
NO DTC codes
fuel filters are newer and not clogged
No exhaust fumes while cranking so I assume injectors are not firing
it is getting fuel (cranked with filter top off and ran out of the bowl)
Battery load is good
Don't see any leaks

Should I buy the Ford scan kit that includes the disc and OBD2 tool? Don't know where to go from here, really hate to tow it to dealer.

Correction on the oil pressure.. While cranking it does not see oil pressure

Last edited:
You either have a oil pressure sensor that took a crap or your HPOP is shot because you need to have 550PSI or above from the HPOP to make the injectors pop off. I would say it's time to tow it to the dealer or your favorite diesel performance shop.

sounds like a high pressure oil leak. possibly the dummy plugs that are in the oil rails have blown the o-ring or the stc fitting on back of the high pressure pump has blown apart. and or still could have lost the hpop. but its def oil related.

One thing you could try is pulling both valve cover and oil rails off and checking for cracked injector we had one come in that read like 100 psi in oil pressure ended up being#2 cracked at the top..worth a shot, better than the ford house throwing a hpop at it then charging you for it

I had the same thing happen to me once, I did everything in the world to keep from puttin the hpop on her, but sadly thats what fixed mine. I just had such a hard time thinkin it was the hpop because it drove great and i pulled into a place to get an adult beverage (all my buddies hung out there) walked out to the truck and it would crank and crank with no hit. I got to hear all about how i should have got a dodge, I even got to catch a tow from one of our local pullers. It was a bad night and an exspensive next week. :doh:

icp is eazy to get out make a fitting and pull shop air in were icp goes and look for air leck you said no base oil psi pull oil filter and push down on drain valve and have someone turn over motor to see if you have base oil