05 cummins shuddering and white smoke

foxcowboy

Ok not only am I new to this site, but also new to the diesel world. I bought my 05 cummins about 2 months ago and just recently I started having problems with it. The short story is that from 40-50 MPH at about 1200-1500 rpms I started getting a shuddering and as soon as a load was put on it like climbing a hill it started backfiring and I could not speed up. The shuddering just got worse. I pulled over, shut it off and started it back up and it ran fine for a while. Then it came back a week later and now it feels like it will do it all the time from 30-55 mph unless I keep the RPM's up. Any ideas out there?

Just changed out the fuel filter a week ago after it happened the first time. There is only 78000 miles on her. The white smoke only comes out when I give it gas while its shuddering. Any help? I was thinking maybe a fuel pump?

Sounds like a pressure relief valve on the rail or an injector. Get a scanner on it and check rail pressure as it starts its "fit". If it drops you have a high pressure leak.

Thanks for the ideas. I have all my gauges but have not had a day to invest to put them all on yet. I was hoping its just a fuel pump since the white smoke isn't constant (I heard that if it was injector related I would have barrels of white smoke all the time) so I was going to check my fuel pressure with that gauge and see what it was reading at. Thanks again for giving me ideas though.

ended up being my #5 injector so I have a new one on the way. thanks for the info guys!