05 dodge with a 07 5.9 installed

blue2002

Have a buddy his motor went out . So he installed a 2007 motor in his 2005 dodge. He says the mileage is horrible like 12 mpg. He also says when he romps on it . It falls on its face like its loading up.

They say the wiring is different on the injectors on a 2005 amd 2007 dodge. Does anyone know how to change the wiring and what to do? Also if theres any other wiring i need to change on this 2007 motor thats installed in a 2005 truck.

Is he running it with the 2005 or the 2007 wiring harness? And I presume he is using his '05 PCM?

The wiring is not different that I know of.

Did he swap over his sending units? not that it matters.
Did he do anything with the injectors? Pull them from the old engine for the new one or did the new one come with injectors?
Any codes?
Whats he using for a fuel pump?

okay he is using the 05 wiring harness and computer.The sending units are 07 . injectors are 07 . there is no codes and also running the 07 pump.

He says it has no get up and go like the old motor he had. He can turn it up with his bully dog and it gets a little more power but not like the old motor.

Harness is pinned differently from 05 to 07, so that would have been an issue were he using it. But the sensors should all be the same. Not sure why it woukd react the way it is, especially not having any codes popping up. Did he reuse his old cp3 pump, or the one from the 07 motor? Always possible that the one on the replacement motor is no good. Or the injectors, for that matter. Maybe his 05 engine had larger injectors without his knowing it.

Pump is off a 07. Just dont have the get up and go as his old motor he says. But im going to go by tonight and look at it. But also hes getting like 12 mpg. Hes heard u could just change wiring around on injectors to a 05 . Then it would work right. But i said ill post this and see responces i get

It would be nice to be able to see the injector pinouts on both ECM's to be sure.
I may be able to get that once I get to the shop.

Hows the idle?
Does it acell smooth under mild throttle input?

It ideals smooth he says. no surging . Just when he gets in to it . He says it doesn't have any get up and go. I thinking he bigger injectors before in other motor like someone said. But I can tell u more when I personally go look at his truck. This is just information he asked me about.

07 Injector 1,2,3
[ame="http://s176.photobucket.com/user/zukgod1/media/07-59INJECTOR-1-2-3images_zpsd2ed0070.jpg.html"]07-59INJECTOR-1-2-3images_zpsd2ed0070.jpg Photo by zukgod1 | Photobucket[/ame]
07 Injector 4,5,6
[ame="http://s176.photobucket.com/user/zukgod1/media/07-59INJECTOR-4-5-6images_zps271bfc5d.jpg.html"]07-59INJECTOR-4-5-6images_zps271bfc5d.jpg Photo by zukgod1 | Photobucket[/ame]

05 Injectors 1,2,3
[ame="http://s176.photobucket.com/user/zukgod1/media/05-59injector-1-2-3images_zpsc792e71e.jpg.html"]05-59injector-1-2-3images_zpsc792e71e.jpg Photo by zukgod1 | Photobucket[/ame]

05 Injectors 4,5,6
[ame="http://s176.photobucket.com/user/zukgod1/media/05-59INJECTOR-4-5-6images_zps224528df.jpg.html"]05-59INJECTOR-4-5-6images_zps224528df.jpg Photo by zukgod1 | Photobucket[/ame]

Have to click on the top of the window to see the image I guess..

That was WAY harder than it should have been....

The injectors in an '07 5.9 use the same means of control/power as an '05. Even the pin-out on the PCM is the same positions for both the 2 high-side bank power supplies, and the individual low-side injector control positions.

There are, however, several differences between the '05 pin-out and '07 pin-out for various other sensors.

All of this is irrelevant, however, since the guy is using an '05 harness with an '05 computer in an '05 truck. And, in order to use this '05 harness, it would mean that he had to re-wire the injectors and use the middle '05 valve cover piece for the proper injector connectors that would be inherent to the '05 harness. Unless, of course, he decided to cut and solder the connectors from the '07 harness onto the '05 harness, which would still be fine, assuming everything was wired correctly.

For reference, the '05 harness has 3 injector connectors, and the '07 harness only has 2 connectors for the injectors.

CMIIW, but aren't the intake sensors different on a 2003-2005 from a 2006-2007?

Mark.

CMIIW, but aren't the intake sensors different on a 2003-2005 from a 2006-2007?

Mark.

I can say that part numbers suggest the boost pressure sensor is identical between the 05 and 07. Can't say for sure about the IAT (intake air temp) sensor. Having a hard time finding part numbers for that one.

So he hacked his harness up?

The original harness and upper valve cover, rocker box and VC gasket can be put on the 07 engine. It is interchangeable.

I see no problem with just swapping out the long block and injection system from 05 to 07 in an 05 truck.

So he hacked his harness up?

The original harness and upper valve cover, rocker box and VC gasket can be put on the 07 engine. It is interchangeable.

I see no problem with just swapping out the long block and injection system from 05 to 07 in an 05 truck.

I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere by him. I simply mentioned that he would have had to either change his rocker arm box to accomodate the '05 connectors, or hack his harness for the '07 connectors and leave the rocker box alone.

I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere by him. I simply mentioned that he would have had to either change his rocker arm box to accomodate the '05 connectors, or hack his harness for the '07 connectors and leave the rocker box alone.

Gotcha.

I think that some things need to be double checked. Starting with getting injectors tested.