06 cummins ATS twins problems... HELP

nwtdiesel

See you in AZ :)
Ok, my buddy has a 06 cummins with the ATS aurora 2/5. TST cr powermax 200 hp with boost limit shut off, FASS lift pump, Arc flow, custom 5'' intake, 5'' exhaust and a full stage 5 ATS tranny. We cant get the thing to boost over 39psi and it gets hot real fast. We just made the 5'' intake because the ATS intake was to small and the turbos were suckin the elbow and filter in. That didnt really do anthing power wise. We just sent the module back to TST to have the custom twins set up installed. The ATS set up came with the wastegate actuator on the 5000. That didnt make sense to me so i moved the hose to the 2000 and it still didnt do anything. Does he just not have enough fuel to push that set up? 100hp sticks and cp3 are next.

Last edited:
i have those turbos and i can spool them to 55psi with my little setup.

I am by no means an expert but i would say check for a loose intercooler or turbo boot.i had a buddy who had a loose clamp, the two ends were so close it wouldnt blow the boot off but pressure would expand the tube and the truck would run hot and had low power because of the escaping pressure.

Are you using a real boost gauge or the one that reads the electronic signal from the MAP sensor. It will not read past 41psi (on edge anyway) due to the sensor limits.

Malcolm

i hit 59PSI with mine the other day and im on stock injectors and CP3, somethings wrong for sure.

Might be the TST digital gauges. Ill try to tell em to put a mechanical gauge in. I checked all his hoses and fittings; everything is tight. Had a little leek by the arc flow but, didnt make a diff after i fixed it for him.
Are you guys runin the actuator off the 2000 or the 5000??? How is the TST twin program? Is there a better chip for a 06? Stack? Thanks for all your help.

I have no experience BUT i have heard that if your drive pressure is off then the twins really dont work to well. Could be a spot worth checking if you are out of other ideas.

Bobo said:
You guys need EFI Live real bad!!!

How much could you set my 04 lb7 D-max up with EFI. I have been thinkin bout switchin. Kinda funny, I was just talkin bout it. Would i have to bring my truck to you or would you just send me files over the net?

Actuator line for the wastegate. Which turbo are you guys runin it off of? 2000 or 5000. Came on the five but, makes more sense to run it off the 2... Doesnt it? What about adjusting the actuator? He is almost out of thread on his adjustment. Like one thread left.

Killer EFI

Bobo said:
You guys need EFI Live real bad!!!

Hey Bobo, I hear you make some killer tunes for the Max, Opie said I should give you a shout. I have been playing with EFI for a little while now. Need to get a race tune for the 05 LLy. Do you sell your programming?

I wish we had EFI for the Dodge, I think the Smarty is about a close as it gets for now.

Thanks

Malcolm

Usually the small turbo on top has the waste gate. when the waste gate opens it bypass the exhaust gases around the turbine (the 2000) to keep the small turbo from overspeeding. You usually want the waste gate to open up at around 25-30 psi off boost. I have got the BD twins and had to detune them to keep the boost to 55 psi overall. Runs Clean and strong.

Malcolm

How does the truck run? Does it feel like its only making 39psi? If they're only using the TST's digital gauges then thats the problem. He's quite possibly making a good bit more than 39psi. The sensor that the TST gets its reading from I'm pretty sure is limited to 39. Thats as high as the Attitude monitor will read on the Edge juice. Slap a mechanical gauge in there and come back.

Boz007 said:
How does the truck run? Does it feel like its only making 39psi? If they're only using the TST's digital gauges then thats the problem. He's quite possibly making a good bit more than 39psi. The sensor that the TST gets its reading from I'm pretty sure is limited to 39. Thats as high as the Attitude monitor will read on the Edge juice. Slap a mechanical gauge in there and come back.

We just ordered the mechanical gauges. They will be in the truck in a few days. Waiting for the twins tune from TST to return.

There are several reasons it get's hot. 1 He punches the throttle and over fuels them before the air can catch up. 2 His power level is too high on the TST causing a drop in rail pressure. 3 His wastegate settings are muffed.

If the wastegate opens too soon or too late it causes high drive pressures and egt's. As a general rule he needs to be making about half his total boost in the cold pipe (the pipe between the compressor sides of the turbos). This only holds true at max boost not at all boost levels. Basically you want the little turbo to get the whole thing going and then stop where it's at and have the big turbo take over. For example: If your top turbo is making 10psi and the bottom turbo is making 30psi then you are making roughly 60psi of total boost. You can't measure the 10psi you have to calculate it. The reason for this is your multiplying pressure ratios (PR's). So 10psi is around 1.7PR and 30 is around 3.11PR. You multiply them and get 5.28PR. 60psi is around 5.22PR. All this changes a bit depending on atmospheric pressures but that is general
rundown on how it works. Generally you need at least 10psi from the little turbo to get the most efficient compounding effect.