06 duramax/low power/black smoke ???

SMOKED

Big Iron Mechanic
my neighbor just asked me to work on his 06 duramax with 40k miles, he says it blows black smoke when pulling hills and has low power, he says the check engine light is on so i will pull codes when he gets it to my garage, is this a common problem with an easy fix, a local diesel shop quoted him 4k for injectors which seems crazy to me because he said they trouble shot it over the counter, im a commonrail cummins guy so i am in the dark with a duramax thanks:Cheer:

First thing i would do is change the fuel filter and use only AC-Delco. If that does not fix it then it probably something to do with the egr. What all is done to the truck.

i think its all stock except it is lifted, he hasnt dropped it off yet.

Get us the code and we'll run it. Who ever counter trouble shot it probably misheard him between an LB7 and LBZ.
Fuel filter is option 1. Find out how many miles are on it.

I also am having a similar problem with an 06 of a friends, blows black smoke under throttle and lacks power, setting a p0299 (turbocharger under boost). Have not had a chance to look at/drive it myself yet, going to go see it tomorrow any suggestions would be appreciated.

Don't know yet haven't seen the truck yet, just a brief description over the phone, will know more when I see it.

So got a chance to look at the truck the other day, was throwing a p0101 (maf sensor performance). Was told that it had just been replaced. Truck would smoke like a freight train once the code was cleared. Thought possibly the truck had a tune left in it (was a repo bought at auction) and was drawing to much air through the factory airbox throwing the maf code. Had him take it to GM to have a reflash, and was told the calibration was stock, also found out their was a mix-up and the maf hadn't been changed because it was out of stock. After the maf was replaced it drove great for about 25 miles, then started smoking /no power again. It had a cel but I don't know what it was, because it had been cleared, and I couldn't get it to throw another. I took it for a drive and logged a couple foot on the floor runs, and it appears that it isn't building any boost. Haven't been under the hood as I was short on time, but truck has been looked over by a reputable mechanic so I doubt it is anything like a blown boot. Has anyone had any issues with vanes in the turbo sticking(I know ford 6.0's had issues), or a failed vane position solenoid causing these kind of symptoms. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• dd.zip
    5.2 KB · Views: 0
A friend of mine had the same type of problem. We plugged in to find codes that would involve the mass air flow, so after digging into the problem we found that it was unplugged, but this really wasn't the problem. After further investigating we found that the egr had went bad and was stuck open causing all the smoke and lack of power. His truck was also on the stock tune when all this was happening. We had done a flow rate on the injectors and they were all with in spec, for those of you that were wondering.

I'll check into it, was able to cycle it open and closed with efi, so doubt that is the issue but you never know.

So it turns out it hadn't been looked at very well, the lower cac tube was loose at the intercooler