06 F350 6.Uh-Oh exhaust leak

Yooper75

Life sucks, get a helmet!
I started my truck this weekend and when the ECM kicked up the idle I heard what sounded to me like and small exhaust leak. I am going to see if I can get my truck into heated building to crawl under it and look for it this weekend. Any hints on where I should start look for this and I have heard that you can spot them fairly easily from soot leaking out of the leak but never tried to find one before.

First place I'd look at is the expansion part of the Y-Pipe and Up-Pipe. Had both of them blowout on me a few months ago around 75,000 miles.

First place I'd look at is the expansion part of the Y-Pipe and Up-Pipe. Had both of them blowout on me a few months ago around 75,000 miles.

I am guessing that is where mine is as well I opened the hood at lunch with the truck running on high idle and couldn't hear it up top and couldn't see any soot in the engine bay. But if I stuck my head in the passenger wheel well I could hear the leak. And some where along the line I ended up with an oil leak as well so it looks like I have some diagnosing to do this weekend. Thanks PainTrain.

Last edited:
One more question. Are they weldable or do I have to replace it?

Last edited:
Probally replace it and while your at delete egr cooler. It comes with some of the delete kits.

They are weldable. Stainless steel. Remove the flex portion.

Guys I need some help I found a site that sells the up pipe with the EGR scoop removed and the tube blocked off but all be damned if I can it again. Does anyone know who makes this I am just getting around to fixing the exhaust leak any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dave

The weather is finally nice enough here to start working out side again and I crawled under the truck today to look for the exhaust leak on my truck. I was looking for soot and and didnt see any traces of soot unless they were higher up and I couldnt see it.

I am also looking at doing a full EGR delete on the truck and replacing the oil cooler while I am at it and have the intake off. Is this something the typical shade tree mechaninc can pull off in a weekend?

The weather is finally nice enough here to start working out side again and I crawled under the truck today to look for the exhaust leak on my truck. I was looking for soot and and didnt see any traces of soot unless they were higher up and I couldnt see it.

I am also looking at doing a full EGR delete on the truck and replacing the oil cooler while I am at it and have the intake off. Is this something the typical shade tree mechaninc can pull off in a weekend?

Yep, anybody with basic tools and mechanic skills can tackle an EGR delete and oil cooler rebuild.

Yep, anybody with basic tools and mechanic skills can tackle an EGR delete and oil cooler rebuild.

Thank you. Now I just need to order the parts and set a weekend aside to do this project. It looks like the oil cooler is starting to leak because there is an oil leak on the back right corner of the block.

Back