06 slight haze and white smoke while cranking

megastang

I'm hoping someone can help point me in the right direction here.My dad gave me his 06 5.9 to put in my wifes excursion. When the engine is running it has the smell like my dads 12v with advanced pump timing. Almost burns your eyes but no visible smoke. Right now I only have one battery in the truck so on some of the cooler mornings it cranks for a little while till it catches. When this happens it is smoking white. My 06 dodge doesn't do either of these things. The engine had a smarty on it at one time. when did the swap I put in a stock file from tunefiledepot (efilive). The engine was given to me with a 50% over cp3 pump. I also put in a stage 2 colt cams regrind when the engine was on the stand. Anyone know if this could be caused by the cp3?

also just thought about it, the engine has a heater grid delete and I don't have the fuel heater hooked up.

Last edited:
Injectors are probably leaky. I have heard rumors that '06s had a bad batch of coatings on the tips from Bosch. Could be a rumor but a friend of mines '06 did the exact same thing and it was several bad injectors.

Tobin

Definitely sounds like injector issues to me. Remember back in the day when you hardly EVER heard of them???? Thanks to EPA regs we can all spend thousands of dollars for these things nowadays......isn't the the gubment great!!!!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

is the OBDII port working properly with it in the ford?

a good scan tool can see it or EFI live.

does the smoke/ smell get better after the truck warms up?

obd port is ok but I originally had trouble with the efi live scan tool. I think i figured out what the issue with the scan tool but haven't had time to try hooking up again. The engine was from my fathers truck that he bought new. I learned today that the injectors had been replaced under warranty at some point. I would have to check for sure but I think the truck only had 60 some thousand miles on it when he pulled it. In the meantime I added some injector cleaner when I fueled tonight.

Good factory tune

does anyone have a good factory tune for a 06 cummins. the engine I got had a smarty on it before. I used a file from tunefiledepot but i'm not sure how much I trust it (anti theft was already turned off when I downloaded the file)

Back