'06 smells at idle

Bobus

Powerstroked
The '06 F450 I recently got has a smell at idle, If it idles for extended periods 20+ minutes, it blows a fair amount of white smoke for the first bit down the road then clears up.. I plan on removing the Cat and Muffler once the weather straightens up, but whats causeing the white smoke and Smell? Could it be a plugged Cat or is it EGR related?

My guess would be your turbo. When my center section was toast, I would get white smoke from a stop. The longer the truck was idling, the more smoke there was and the longer it took to clear it.

When idling, the exhaust is not hot enough to burn the oil up so it just pools in the exhaust housing until you get the EGT's up enough to burn it off. During normal driving, the EGT's are hot enough to continuously burn the oil off so it is not noticeable.

might be the egr cooler leaking coolant intot the intake manifold and the smell and white smoke could be from the coolant burning.

From my understanding the EGR valve opens during low boost. Idling has no boost so the valve would be open. If the cooler is compromised, any coolant leaking within could make its way into the combustion.

Back