06 starting it out of truck?

Kyle_truck_pull

I have an 06 cummins that we built at a school. we built a stand for it and i would like to try and start it without it being in the truck. i have the harness and ECM, but im not sure if its gonna be able to run. I guess what im asking is if anyone has ever done this with a common rail engine yet, and is their anything else i should know that may help us.
Thanks for your time!

I ran my 05 many times on the floor before putting in my F350.If the truck had a security skimm module it will lock the ecm and it will hit one time and then not start.It takes 12 volts + on pin 13 of the c130 connector on an 05 engine .It takes 6 wires to an accelerator pedal assembly if you'd like to reve up.If the ecm gets locked you will need a Smarty with a recovery file from Bob to get around it.If the engine is going back in it's original truck it's much easier to drop it in and turn the key.Do a search on skimm it's the theft security system on up line trucks.I have prints for 05 but not 06 as for fuel I gravity bottle fed it . Not an easy task but can be done,good luck.

Thanks for your help, the students are excited to here it run, the engine is new from the cummins training center so it hasnt been in a truck yet. i have an accelerater assembley for an 02 engine, it has 6 terminals on the plug on the APPS, but the harness on the 06 engine doesnt have that plug so im not sure how to get that working yet. i will do some more research on that 06 engine cause im not to familure with it i have worked on the 03s a lot but there are some differences in the harnesses.
thanks again for your help!

Good luck with the hook up. I've always wanted to crank up a newer fuel injected motor on a stand..

i also just found out that the APPS is different on the 06, it is actually mounted in the pedal in the cab instead of on the engine.

It will run without the apps just fine.On an 05 engine if 12 volts + is applied to the pink/gray wire which is pin 13 of the c130 connector or pin 32 of the C2 connector that is one of the two plugs on the ECM ,the FCA will start clicking and if the starter solenoid is engaged and engine turns over and has fuel and no SKIMM module it should fire right up,remove the power to the pink/gray is same as turning off the key. I don't have the 06 prints so colors could change. the c130 is the connector that would connect the engine to the cab ,below the cowl pannel.If the orginal + battery cable is in place it eill power the other necessary points to the ecm and don't forget to affix the ground cable also.
I spent lots of hours in the prints and have my notes but they like to change wire colors every model.I have a spare 06 ecm and the connectors are the same for sure.Best of luck if I can help PM me. If the FCA clicks and the engine hit one quick time and dosen't run you can bet the security "SKIMM" module shut it down,been there done that.

i think where i am messing up is we took a starter off another truck engine, put it on this 06 engine, i hooked a battery up to the starter, i put in a cheap key switch to run the starter, then i tried applying power to the pin 13, it was a green wire on this engine i will check and see if i am doing something wrong. i will PM you and let you know what i find out. thank you for helping us out!

Do you have the original starter wire harness with the battery cable on it ? Is the engine from a Dodge Application ?

im not sure what i have for the harness, i have the ECM with both connectors and those 2 harnesses. it does appear to be the harness for a dodge truck.

To rev you will need an accelerator pedal and six wires to the C130 connector.

I have a tps whole assembly off of a 2002 cummins, im gonna try to run the wires to it and bolt it on the 06 engine where it was on the 02
thanks for the help