06 starting problems

sleeksilver

hey guys I have a 06 with some starting problems after sitting over night or the engine is cool. it's throwing a po341 camshaft position sensor code. I've checked both sensors and replaced them an nothing changed. it takes it a few more cranks to start and smokes alittle white at idle for 10-15 seconds. no blow by on engine. just curious what your imputs were, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got a truck doing the same in the shop right now only it won't start. I'm in for the responses.

Anyone? sub'd cus i'm having the same problem and have been for the past 2 years. I did some reading on it before and saw something about the cam walking and causing this problem.

All I can say is good luck. My wife's 06 has been throwing that code for at least 2 years and I haven't figure out why yet.

Replaced the sensor, no change.

I read that it could be a wire chaffing by the a/c compressor. Checked that several times and was extremely thorough and found nothing.

Also read about the cam gear walking, but I replaced the front crank seal and while I was in there I checked the cam gear and the in/out play in the cam and it looked fine to me.

I'm stumped too. I would love to know if anybody has a solution to this.

Check the wiring.check batteries, starter, and battery cables to make sure engine is cranking over fast enough. I've had a handfull of 3.9 common rails that had the rail pressure relief valve go bad and cause long crank with a haze once started/ crank no starts. They all usually had a cam sensor code. I'm guessing the cranking speed would drop enough to cause the sensor not to read correctly? All my drivers will crank the engine until the battery is dead or the starter burns up, if it does not start right away. Any low voltage codes?

Pop off valve was just replaced a couple months ago for more rail pressure. no low voltage codes. now the truck lopes at idle and cannot drive it without smoking out the road with white smoke and backfiring. thinking the engine is out of time.

Hey guys new here but most of the extended cranks issues I've encountered were usually because of high fuel return. Injector to high return, pump to high return (rare) limit valve stuck. Crossover tubes not seated well. Do you know what the rail pressure is cranking?