06 with Weird ass AC issues

12valvePwr96

Truck Under Construction
Got an '06 3500 in my shop doing some weird stuff.. Customer brought it in because the air wouldn't kick on. Evacuated the system, leak tested fine, it had a stored code for the pressure switch so we changed it out along with a new compressor per customer request, and no change. BUT, I can command the AC clutch to come on through the TIPM with a Snap-On Verus. We're leaning towards the actual AC control switch on the dash being bad. What do you guys think? If the TIPM was bad, would I still be able to command the AC on with the scanner?

Can you read the tipm to see if it sees a command from the control head to turn the compressor on? If you can then the tipm is bad but I wouldn't think you could command the compressor on if the tipm was bad. If you can't see an input from the control head to the tipm then I'd see if you actually have an input from the control head on the bottom of the tipm.

funny this is posted.... i am on my 4th tipm right now and this one is not commanding the a/c clutch. it cost me a new compressor to find this out.

With the compressor unplugged i see 12v coming from the TIPM, BUT after messing around with a power probe i found out that as soon as you plug it back in and complete the circuit you get nothing.

i will never get rid of my baby but words cannot describe how much i hate the as$hole that came up with the idea of a non serviceable open loop style POS. last time i lost the TIPM the truck was brand new and i had NO trailer lights, after that my toy hauler wiring ate up another one.

and FWIW, i only work on dodge trucks in my shop and i do a LOT of A/C work and the A/C controls have never been the culprit.

Had a similar issue, had a new AC compressor replace on a 06 for some reason it would pull more load on TIPM then it liked, replaced it again from a different company and it works fine.

If you hard start it by putting another 12v source to it will it stay on?

Not a fan of the TIPM.

With the compressor unplugged i see 12v coming from the TIPM, BUT after messing around with a power probe i found out that as soon as you plug it back in and complete the circuit you get nothing.

This is indicative of a bad connector/connection. The connection will pass just enough electrons to make a high impedance digital multi-meter read +12 VDC then dropout when loaded.

Not sure if that helps....but I've seen this a few times on other junk.

The wire harness on these trucks suck over time they just disintegrate the insulation and then they touch poof! Or they just break! right at the connector! THE TIPM is a pain but has some cool resets built into it! If you hook up to a bad trailer it will shut off power to it. It's programmed to do this 250 times before shutting off permanently!

Back