07 gear decisions

Carssuck

NO STRESS!
I will be buying an 07 CC 4x4 SB DRW in the next few weeks and wondering how much difference there is in fuel mpg between the different gears.

My truck has 3.73s now and has served me well but thinking I should go with a higher ratio.

For those of you that don't know me here, I pull a 10,000 pound work trailer every day and a 10k camper on the weekends. The truck I have now has 44,000 miles on it and I have no idea how far a tank of fuel would go without a trailer! Seriously, not one tank!

I can get a SB DRW with 3.73, 4.10s or a towboss with 4.30s

I don't race my truck and will not be lifting it.

What do you guys think?

i not sure but i would say if 3.73 good for you now that stick with it

go with 4.10s. 4.30s are really ballsy but you will loose a couple mpgs compared to 3.73s. i think 3.73s are too much gear for towing 10k on anything more than regular highway (ie: not huge hills) but i dont know how your truck acts and i dont know how its modded Jay.

i hope my .02 helps a little Bud.
Dom

Thanks Dom
I run a SCT, 3.5 dp and 4" mbrp exhaust.
The SCT street file is tweaked for pulling with raised shift points and different downshifts to keep the egts down up hills.

Mpg is a concern because of the long miles I am pulling every day now, no less than 150 per day.

Id go with 4.10. Most people pulling those heavy trailers go with that selection

with 4.10s you will be running right at about 2400 rpms at about 70-73 miles an hour if i remember correctly. we see right at about 14-15 mpgs outta them, 12-13 towing

if you arent having trouble turning miles with 3.73's, maybe you should stick with em. unless your truck is having trouble pulling hills. what kind of mileage to you get now Jay?

Dom

TwiztedMetal said:
if you arent having trouble turning miles with 3.73's, maybe you should stick with em. unless your truck is having trouble pulling hills. what kind of mileage to you get now Jay?

Dom

My truck used to get 14 pulling before all of the Ford flashes, then it dropped to 12 and with the ULSD I now average 9-10 pulling @ 73ish mph.

I never thought my truck was working that hard pulling the trailers but, this is my first diesel

There is something wrong with my fuel system (stock) and the truck hiccups and sputters when pulling and I am now down to 6 mpg. I am just waiting for my dealer to find a new truck for me and this one is gone, like a fart in the wind! LOL:kick:

Sounds like the 4.10s get better mpg pulling. Perhaps the motor isn't working as hard.

I actually noticed my truck is running a bit smoother and the mpg's went up by 2/10. Not much of a gain, but better than a loss.
I am still on my first tank or ULSD but so far so good