1066 bout to go under the knife, got some questions.

sootfoot

IH Nut
Got a 1066 that I'm about to restore and turn into a farm stock puller, as well as still work in the field.

Looking at the wide sprag 5 disc on the high side T/A, seems like everyone has had good luck with it. Whats the thoughts here on Comp D?

Also not sure what clutch to put in this thing. I want it strong but no so strong I gotta stand on it?

Also the throttle on the damn thing is either wide open or idle. I been on a few 1066 and they all seem the same. Is this design or wear on the linkage?

Last thing, it is a cab tractor that I am going to turn into a open station with ROPS. Was looking at aftermarket fenders and platform and such. Do they fit as well at the IH stuff?

Thanks for all the help that can be offered guys. I will take pictures as this thing progresses. It was my grandfathers favorite tractor, from plowing to chopping corn and bailing hay/straw. I wanna bring it back to its glory. And then some1

If you're going to pull, ditch the TA and P-Pump it. And try to find IH fenders and what not, the last one we took the cab off of we sold the cab for what fenders cost.

not sure this cab is gonna be resaleable....its ROUGH..

I thought about ditching the TA but it comes in handy in the field, the pulling is just a fun factor on a saturday night type deal.

But I will look for IH metal though, I kinda figured the aftermarket stuff didn't fit as well.

Thanks man

First question is what is your "farm stock rules" not everywhere is the same. Alot of "farmstock" classes you might need 350-500 hp then some will actually be stock farm tractors. Pulloff.com is a good place to do some reading about clutches and T/A's but both depend again on what you hp goals are.

I just logged into pulloff today, need to do some more research there.

As far as our rules here for farm stock, it seems to be all over. I know of a stroked out built motor big turbo and cam 1466 that pulls. But I also know of several pump worked 10's as well. Ill do some more research.

Im not looking to go out and win pulls, just get done plowing that night, load it up and go pull kinda thing. Ill do some research and get back

Pulloff is a real good place to get information ive been reading it for a few years. Your biggest limitation is going to be the fact that you want to use it and pull it. Using the ambac pump if you could get enough fuel out of it you may be able to spin a 3lm and that would give you a pretty good combination to get over 200-250 hp maybe more again depending on fuel.

thanks for the help man....Im sure ill be needing more before this project is over

Farm stock in western ky is out of hand. Better have a deep pocket. When get started post some pic's

We had a 1206 with roughly 1200 hp that was pulled for years. Was one of the first tractors to pull at freedom hall in louisville. National championship winning tractor and it had a fully functional T/A so dont let anyone say it can't be done. And to add to it the tractor was detuned and worked every fall. So it is possible. But don't ditch the T/A just because you want to pull if you do it right it won't give you any problems.

Also farmstock is alot more fun if you show up to pull for the hell of it and not to win. My cousins are building a "farmstock" 1066, 530ish CI, turbo, cam, p-pump, and various other things. It will pull in the same class as our 1066 that has a turned up pump and maybe some weight brackets if I feel like building them. I can tell you the fun/$ ratio is much better if you're not trying to win.

Also farmstock is alot more fun if you show up to pull for the hell of it and not to win.

This is true but I ain't one of them. Had an ex-girlfreind that liked to barrel race wasn't any good but she had a blast drove me crazy though.

Yes you can make a T/A work but it cost $$$$ put the money you would spend on the T/A into the fuel system and turbo and pull with a straight shaft and not have to worry about it giving up on you (well untill you start make alot of ponies)

Back