10k to spend

Rob D

Get R' Done
Guys,

Have finally been able to put 10k away for my truck. Now its time to start really diving into the smartest purchases to have a strong running daily driver. At this point I think my goal is to have a bullet proof setup for running an extreme tune file - in other words fix all the stuff that would have the potential of going. I am almost positive I have a bad EGR as I was leaking coolant and when I de-tuned the truck I stopped losing coolant - also it was puking out of the overflow tank.

I figure I will do an EGR delete kit, studs, and an external oil cooler kit all while labor is in this general area.

Rest of the money will go towards a new tranny as mine has been acting up for over 2 years but never got any worse or any better.

Maybe some other small mods like a FASS or Airdog and coolant filter.

Anybody have any other suggestions?

I would have to say talk to Eric at Innovative, (I see since you have files from him already) he is defiantly the 6-liter master at this point! I have seen what he has done. He will help you make smart purchases to get the most for that truck and you.

lol maybe if I had 2-3x that amount hahaha - don't want to give up on the old 6.0

would appreciate any cummins swap comments or "this is what I would do" which has nothing to do with what I am asking comments to be kept out of this post. If I wanted to do a conversrion or go to stock parts - thats what I would have written a thread about, thanks!:Cheer:

do what you said, studs egr delet for sure. than tranny then take it to get live tuned if you have a good shop nearby that can do it. i think the studs and egr delete though are gonna eat up a lot of your money though unless you are doin the work yourself.

You might want to check out the Sept 09 issue of Diesel Power Magazine as it out lines builds for the 6.0l

get a spartin tune, turbo, tranny, injectors, lift pump, and you should be off to a good start.

If I was you..

ARP Studs with Ford gaskets
GoGo egr delete kit
Ford rebuilt trans with GoGo Direct drive solenoid kit.
GoGo Tech 5 race file.
Tell all the Dodge guys to go *uck themselves.

Studs, New Gaskets, if you have welding skills you can effectively get rid of your EGR related issues but still keep it for coolant flow. There's lots of options for turbos and injectors and a Airdog II would be the route I'd run. Are you paying someone to do this work or are you doing it. I'm trying to plot out the distribution of this 10K and a fair portion of it will go to the mechanic doing all of the work.

Like mentioned above, if you can do the work yourself, you will have twice the amount of money to spend.

Reliable, means having the ability to buy any part that craps out, in your home town...if you can't get it in town...your truck is down for more then a day or two, if it ever breaks. (Waiting for the new parts to show up.)

There is nothing wrong with installing studs, deleteing the EGR, aftermarket exhaust, intake, and SCT tuner. Upgrade the tranny a bit, and your done...leave it alone after that.

Like mentioned above, if you can do the work yourself, you will have twice the amount of money to spend.

Reliable, means having the ability to buy any part that craps out, in your home town...if you can't get it in town...your truck is down for more then a day or two, if it ever breaks. (Waiting for the new parts to show up.)

There is nothing wrong with installing studs, deleteing the EGR, aftermarket exhaust, intake, and SCT tuner. Upgrade the tranny a bit, and your done...leave it alone after that.

This is the line of thought I am in. I just want to catch any and all weak links and fix them right now so the truck can be driven and driven hard day in and day out without worrying about having to dump more damn money into it. I want to know any problem areas to look at to support just a good tune. I think I have all the bases covered but just wanted to make sure.

Buy a 1ST GEN Dodge with half and pimp it out p-pump style...

:wrong:

Rob if your looking to not take this thing to the next level then studs, new head gaskets, deletion of the EGR in some way, along with the general basics and you will have acheived this goal. One thing i would do is when the heads are off you should have them checked for cracks, as thats also a common occurance. When I rebuilt my 6.0L it took 4 heads to give me two half decent ones. New heads are around 2K for a set. You could freshen up the trubo but yours is resdeigned and it should not pose a problem. If you have run the truck for a prolonged peirod of time then your intake could be full of soot/carbon and that would be another think to look at. All and all 10K would be sufficent for this kind of work. I built a whole new engine(for the most part) for 6K but I had studs and other parts already too. Injectors are an easy 1500+ and the same for a turbo. Then another 600 or whatever for an airdog. So your at 3600 easy before you even touch the engine and shell out labor and it would be wise to perhaps look at some transwork depending upon a few things.

:wrong:

Rob if your looking to not take this thing to the next level then studs, new head gaskets, deletion of the EGR in some way, along with the general basics and you will have acheived this goal. One thing i would do is when the heads are off you should have them checked for cracks, as thats also a common occurance. When I rebuilt my 6.0L it took 4 heads to give me two half decent ones. New heads are around 2K for a set. You could freshen up the trubo but yours is resdeigned and it should not pose a problem. If you have run the truck for a prolonged peirod of time then your intake could be full of soot/carbon and that would be another think to look at. All and all 10K would be sufficent for this kind of work. I built a whole new engine(for the most part) for 6K but I had studs and other parts already too. Injectors are an easy 1500+ and the same for a turbo. Then another 600 or whatever for an airdog. So your at 3600 easy before you even touch the engine and shell out labor and it would be wise to perhaps look at some transwork depending upon a few things.

Ya - I am staying away from sticks and new turbo - plan on getting a new tranny altogether, unless I can get it to someone with more to say than the lousy ford dealership who won't do **** and claims my tranny is fine.

Guys,

Have finally been able to put 10k away for my truck. Now its time to start really diving into the smartest purchases to have a strong running daily driver. At this point I think my goal is to have a bullet proof setup for running an extreme tune file - in other words fix all the stuff that would have the potential of going. I am almost positive I have a bad EGR as I was leaking coolant and when I de-tuned the truck I stopped losing coolant - also it was puking out of the overflow tank.

I figure I will do an EGR delete kit, studs, and an external oil cooler kit all while labor is in this general area.

Rest of the money will go towards a new tranny as mine has been acting up for over 2 years but never got any worse or any better.

Maybe some other small mods like a FASS or Airdog and coolant filter.

Anybody have any other suggestions?

If you are planning on keeping with your stock injectors, I don't know if I would change the fuel pump. I would just upgrade the fuel lines to the front of the cylinder head and call it done.

I think the tranny is a smart decision. A good tranny and convert will make a huge difference in the feel of the truck not to mention you won't have to worry about it again.

Back