110lb springs cause ticking?

aer212

Zach can you tell me if the heavier springs cause the valves hit the seats hader thus causing a ticking sound?

As long as the valves don't go into a float condition, the springs have nothing to do with how hard the valves close because they are in constant mesh with the opening and closing ramp of the camshaft. How hard the valve closes is dependant on three things,
1) The closing ramp of the cam lobe
2)The ramp rate multiplied by the RPM the cam is turning.
The higher the rpm, the higher the closing speed
3)If the valve goes into float condition, the valve, on the closing ramp could lose contact with the rest of the valvetrain, and at that point the valve spring has everything to do with how hard the valve closes

Cam manufacturers typically make the valve open very fast and then close much slower so that the valve is set down easy on the seats. Unless you have had a major increase in RPM, have a cam that has very fast closing ramp rates, or have experienced valve float at high rpm, the valve will close no harder than it did before. However, it will apply more pressure once it has closed. This keeps pressure from opening the valves prematurely from excessive boost or back pressure. It also keeps the valve from bouncing on the seat upon closing. This is very dangerous to the valve and the seat.

Does this fully answer your question? If not give me a call at 1-512-804-9015 and I will try to help you find your gremlin.

Zach Hamilton

As long as the valves don't go into a float condition, the springs have nothing to do with how hard the valves close because they are in constant mesh with the opening and closing ramp of the camshaft. How hard the valve closes is dependant on three things,
1) The closing ramp of the cam lobe
2)The ramp rate multiplied by the RPM the cam is turning.
The higher the rpm, the higher the closing speed
3)If the valve goes into float condition, the valve, on the closing ramp could lose contact with the rest of the valvetrain, and at that point the valve spring has everything to do with how hard the valve closes

Cam manufacturers typically make the valve open very fast and then close much slower so that the valve is set down easy on the seats. Unless you have had a major increase in RPM, have a cam that has very fast closing ramp rates, or have experienced valve float at high rpm, the valve will close no harder than it did before. However, it will apply more pressure once it has closed. This keeps pressure from opening the valves prematurely from excessive boost or back pressure. It also keeps the valve from bouncing on the seat upon closing. This is very dangerous to the valve and the seat.

Does this fully answer your question? If not give me a call at 1-512-804-9015 and I will try to help you find your gremlin.

Zach Hamilton

Thanks for the reply, it answers the question. Thats not what I wanted to hear tho, I wanted to hear yes it does. Now I have to keep looking for whatever else it might be.