12 valve build to rebuild or not

Tycollins37

Tycollins37
The motor I'm building is a 95 12 valve wanting to get to 700hp eventually, 160 pump built 4k gov springs, mack plug, he351 ht3b twins. I'm trying to deside if I should completely rebuild it with new pistons and everything. Will a change from factory pistons gain much. Also wondering if lower compression is needed.

The motor I'm building is a 95 12 valve wanting to get to 700hp eventually, 160 pump built 4k gov springs, mack plug, he351 ht3b twins. I'm trying to deside if I should completely rebuild it with new pistons and everything. Will a change from factory pistons gain much. Also wondering if lower compression is needed.

Id rebuild it if it has 300k+ on it. Lower compression is not needed. If you have the engine out rebuild. If you were planning on keeping it in the truck rebuild it if around 300k. Just my opinion. Others will differ. A build on here just made 600hp or something like that on a 622k mile engine.

Last edited:
My 95 is probably around 270k on the engine and about 750hp. Stock low end. .010" over HGthat dropped compression a bit but lower compression was not the intent and isn't needed for your goals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok the motors just over 200k I think I will chance it and leave it be.the motors going in a 2008 dodge I'll post a build before long. I appreciate the info guys

Over 400,000 miles here. Daily driver with estimated 550hp. Just pulled a new sxe369 off it a few days ago actually.

Back