12 Valve twin tuners.... whats needed here to play with? two part question

TxDiesel007

Uncommon CR problemed
Guys,

im havin some trouble tuning my truck, (im just chockful of questions today) and i have some time off of work to do some tuning. With a set of rips twins, for MAX power or best results, at what RPMS should these things already be lit? I have not paid attention on the dyno as of late but thru real world driving this is what i see..

at cruisin speed, this truck will see about 8-9 psi or so at 2000 rpms and really wont seem to see any boost whatsoever at 1500 rpms or so. Am i missing something here? I know that i have fuel, i see white smoke out the tailpipe with dragon flies and 181s, wastegate opens at 24 psi, but the top turbo spikes to 30 psi before that happens.. how much is this hurting me on power? i thought i was correct in thinking that this was a proper setting for me to be at?

why the white smoke? and why the lack of boost early on?

FYI i run 16.5 degrees of timing, 100 plate full forward as we speak, afc half way, modded for more rack travel, and dragonflys.....

Do i need to pull the plate farther back or the AFC? what is needed to at least have more boost at those rpms?

I also have a set of 191s that i can toss in, but actually tend to avoid UNLESS they can help me spool my chargers quicker.... and somehow be benefical to me for towing as well.. But in all honesty i dont see that happening at all with flies and towing 10K or more on occasion....

Also, i know that a 10 plate is one of the best all around for towing due to not watchin the pyro, BUT is it worth swapping a 100 out for a ten? and if so how much power will i lose? i know it will be top end, but i need some opinions and experience...

Help me get this thing goin well guys! i would mess more with it, but lack of time gets me, and now that i have it, i want it done....

TYIA

Rick

Rick, I ran a PDR35/12 on top of that S400 with DDP4's, 181's, and 18.5* timing. In 6th, I could get 20psi smoke free at 1500rpm.

white smoke? double check your timing and make sure it hasn't slipped

Rick, whats the most you've towed with the twins? and how were temps

i noticed more idle smoke with my twins too.

This is simply due to the large amount of fuel injected into the cylinders with not much air in there to burn it.

With a stock turbo, it is spinning a lot faster than the S400 is at idle. Thus givin it more air at idle to burn fuel from injectors and heavily fueling dv's.

I have idle smoke with my truck even when it is 90* outside.

Lance

Clutch1 said:
Rick, whats the most you've towed with the twins? and how were temps

as we speak

14K with 370s and 181s.. EGTS at 75 mph were 1000 degrees.. i have a pic of load its just in my phone...

With flies..

10K and 181s... EGTS AT 65 were right at about 1000-1100... Not an injector id reccomend for towing with a 100 plate....

Anything lighter would be fine.... but thats about where i have to draw the line for mods unless i want water meth...

Rick

oldsmokey97 said:
i noticed more idle smoke with my twins too.

This is simply due to the large amount of fuel injected into the cylinders with not much air in there to burn it.

With a stock turbo, it is spinning a lot faster than the S400 is at idle. Thus givin it more air at idle to burn fuel from injectors and heavily fueling dv's.

I have idle smoke with my truck even when it is 90* outside.

Lance

Have you checked if your valve seals have pushed up of the guide?
Higher boost is tough on seals, the upgraded ones seem to help alot.