12's and tow with a CR 5.9?

TrxR

A friend of mine bought a gen three 5.9 CR truck new the last year the 5.9 was available and he was asking me the other day if it would be possible to get his tuck to run low to mid 12's and still tow his enclosed race trailer? It is a quad cab short box 4x4 with an automatic. I told him he would have to do some tranny work but other than that I wasnt sure. So what would get him there?

Thanks

Twins I believe is the only real answer for a vehicle to do real load towing and be able to run low 12s. Big single can tow heavy, but not fun and I won't do it again. Smaller single that is good for towing will be hard to run low 12s with consistently without drugs for sure.

I was thinking twins would be the best. What would you recommend as far as programmers and such? Would an s300/400 be too much ?

Thanks

if you run a smaller single that's good for towing and spray the truck, you'll fly right past the low 12's into the 11's :)

How bout one of the fleece variable turbos (I cant remember what there called V?T). Not sure how they tow yet but there they look pretty cool. You have one on the way right Forrest

it's on order... I was hoping it would ship this week, but I'm assuming they were hustling to get ready for Scheids, so maybe next week :)

ran 12.3 on a 62 fuel only then towed my 10 thousand pund fifth wheel lots truck ran cooler towing then it did stock

My buddies 6.7 with a 64/71/14 tows awesome. I swear, the thing doesent even haze, and EGT's arent a problem at all. I think the extra displacement really helps get the charger up and running and gets more air into the cylinders. I was amazed at how well it did. So, id say a common rail 5.9 with a 62/71/14 or 62/68/14 could tow well, and run mid 12's with the right setup.

Eric

Back