12v 48re bolt up

benC

Nobody
Hey guys.
Long time lurker and finally getting to post.
I have an 05 Dodge with issues and I have a good 12v (97) waiting to be used.
I know there will be speed bumps with the swap and I'm welcome to any tips or write ups. I can't find any.
My main concern is if the 12v will bolt up and if the 48re will be able to shift without a lot of work being done.
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
They bolt up the same. If you've got all your electronics still to hook up to it and are just swapping the block, the transmission side of things will be cake.

I'm not sure on the rest of it (mounting fueling system, head gasket to run (it you're keeping the cr head on), timing case mounting, turbo oil drain lines, coolant passages, etc...).

Awesome. Thanks for the reply.
I should have specified.
I'm wanting to swap the 12v in and pluck the junked 24v out and was wondering if the 48re will run by itself.
The other option is to swap the 24v head and pump onto my 97 block and I don't know if that's possible.

It is possible but you need to have some machining done to accept the CR gear case, you would also have to swap Pistons as the cr bowl is centered and the 12v is off center

It is possible but you need to have some machining done to accept the CR gear case, you would also have to swap Pistons as the cr bowl is centered and the 12v is off center

Ahhh.
Well I can do the machining no problem. But the problem would be piston swaps since a couple of the 24v pistons are scoured I imagine.
Thanks!

Well I guess if I wanted the 48re to work behind the 12v it'll need to have a manual valve body or standalone controller. Verrrry tempting.

Ya, I'm not going to do the 12v swap because it'll cost me more than I'd like.
So I'm selling the 12v, rebuilding and selling the 24v.

In case anyone wanted to know, the 12v will bolt up easily to the 48re but need either a manual valve body or a standalone controller.

Back