12v cutting out high rpm

12vaddiction

diesel addict
Tried reading through some threads but haven't figured it out yet. When I get to about 2200 rpms truck starts to pop crack little bit of white smoke only if free revved never in gear ecxept 1st. Ive read timing fuel pressure ect. Since truck has 317k miles decided throw some money at it new cummins lift pump deleted fuel heater clean fuel screen tork tek ofv replaced some of the fuel line where found leak checked timing it is set at 17 all this made it better but still does it (started at 2000rpm b4 all this now starts doing it at 2200) other opinion ive been told is because I have 5x15 injectors with stock 131 dvs and a 175 pump that this combination just wont work. Any input on wat it could be would be appreciated (pump goin bad need bigger dvs ect. ) b4 anyone asks I do not know what the fuel pressure is yet waiting for free day to have neighbor check it he has stuff to do it I dont but its in the works along with a guage. Thanks in advance for any help guys

Sounds like a fuel pressure issue to me. You can drill and tap one of the factory banjo bolts in the top of the filter head to 1/8" pipe and hook a cheap oil pressure (cheap and easy to find) or a fuel pressure gauge to it to see what it is. I just zip tie it to the wiper arm, then after you know what the pressure is, either throw a new banjo bolt in or out an 1/8" pipe plug in the tapped hole

On the top of the original filter head, there is a port for a 10mm NPT that has a plug in it. I'm guessing you don't have it anymore, so I would say drill and tap a banjo (fuel supply to the pump) as well.

Will told me about a nice and cheap fuel pressure gauge from HF that works great and was like $20. Go buy one! It comes with a 10mm NPT fitting, so if you tap to that, you can use it on your truck or any stock fuel filter 12V.

I really think fuel pressure as well.

Ok thanks guys il look into it after the weekend I have to work. only place i didnt check lines that i might be getting air is where they connect to tank. Any input on a 175 pump needing bigger dvs to work right with bigger injectors that might cause this or is that just some bs I got told ?

of course its gonna do it free reving the engine, theres no load on it. its just dumping fuel. does it do it under a load?

No it doesn't do it under load but this is the only 12v ive had or been around that cuts out like that. Proper rpms to check fuel pressure according to cummins is at idle and 2800 rpms free rev from what I have read and I couldn't do it that way if I wanted to now

Back