12v electronics?

20valve

Tired 215
Okay, in doing my swap, there's still one thing I'm uncertain of: electronics. I know it doesn't have an ECM, and since it's going in a manual truck, no tranny ECM either. But what other things is there? I've heard grid heater relays, but that's it. Looking for in-depth stuff, too. Such as instrument cluster wiring, if anyone has messed with it (where the oil, coolant, etc. sensors are). Thanks in advance!!!

YOu don't need a ECM for the 12V all you need is to power the starter and the fuel shut off selinoid, the oil and water are on the driverside of the motor, water on the head and the oil just underneath the fuel filter. What are you swapping a 12V into?

A '96 2500. I knew I didn't need an ECM, just the other small things such as sensor wiring, cluster, etc. Where does the fuel shutoff solenoid get it's power from?

At least in '98 12 valve all sensors are connectd to ECM and gauges recive signal from ECM.:poke:

I think you're talking about the ECM from the tranny, but I could be mistaken. I thought the 12V 5-sp. trucks had no ECM for the engine. Not saying there isn't a seperate ECM for the other control stuff, but I'm still kinda green when it comes to diesels.

My 96 with a 5 speed has a ECM. It controls gauges, alternator control and such.

FWIW, it's a PCM...Powertrain Control Module, and it's mounted on the right top side of the engine compartment, by the air intake!

Chris

Thank you! That's what I needed to know. The other question is, is that essential? For the gauges, I'm guessing it is. But if you were to just stick the engine in, add fuel and crank it, it would start, right? Just without indication. AND are manual and auto PCM's the same?