12v head studs

fluty118

what are you guys torquin your head studs to in your 12vs i got 12mm studs and woundering what torque is working for you guys

I ran my longer studs to 135lb and the short studs to 130lb. I went in these steps...

25, 50, 70, 85, 100, 110, 115, 120, 125, 130, 135.

And to help I would take a 20-30 minute break imbetween each completed torque sequence after I got past 110. That was to let the studs cool back down.

Just make sure you use plenty of lube on the washers and nuts, I always did my torques with engine assembly lube.

my question is if the stud is suposed to be torqued to 125 ft/lbs why torque it more? is it for clamping force? because an overtorqued stud is weaker than a correctly torqued stud.

The old spec. used to be 122ft/lb, not sure if they changed it or not, many people torque them to 135 or 145 and have sucess, but if you talk to ARP they are pretty firm on not over torqueing them

The old spec. used to be 122ft/lb, not sure if they changed it or not, many people torque them to 135 or 145 and have sucess, but if you talk to ARP they are pretty firm on not over torqueing them

this is what I did they told me to not go over 125 ft/lbs and only do a total of 4 torques when its cold with there lube.

i just put some of the a1 head studs in my truck over the weekend. make sure u tape the holes out in the block a little deeper so u can get all the treads of the studs in the block then torque them to 50 100 and then 125. then start it up and let it warm up until the thermastat opens shut it off and retorque to 125 again. id drive it some what easy for a week and then recheck them. i took a lot of pics i need to post them.